The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so let me start off this thread by admitting that I'm a little anal about music and especially tone. It drives me nuts when one pickup on a guitar is much louder than others. I've had two guitars for which this was an aggravation for me. One was a 'The Paul' that I bought with EMG's in it. Based on the colours of the logos the bridge was an 81 (silver IIRC) and the neck was a 60 (grey). The neck pickup was definitely louder than the bridge. It wasn't the end of the world, since I tend to like using the neck pickup for leads and the bridge for rhythm (rebelling against the pickup selector ring's instructions :tongue: ). Still, it kinda bugged me. What bugs me more is that I like strats to have single coil neck and middle pickups, but sometimes want a humbucker in the bridge position (somehow saying I wanted a humbucker in the rear didn't sound right after admitting to being anal :eek: ). Right now I've got a strat copy with a hot rails in the bridge and there's obviously no way that I'm going to get that to balance with single coils with the possible exception of ultra hot soapbar types. That said, I'm wondering if anyone out there has a guitar with a single-single-hb setup that they think is balanced. I love Ernie Ball guitars, but even their Silhouette Special seemed much louder in the bridge setting than the others. Perhaps I'll just have to buy more guitars None .

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Balance of power

Baconator said:
Ok, so let me start off this thread by admitting that I'm a little anal about music and especially tone. It drives me nuts when one pickup on a guitar is much louder than others. I've had two guitars for which this was an aggravation for me. One was a 'The Paul' that I bought with EMG's in it. Based on the colours of the logos the bridge was an 81 (silver IIRC) and the neck was a 60 (grey). The neck pickup was definitely louder than the bridge. It wasn't the end of the world, since I tend to like using the neck pickup for leads and the bridge for rhythm (rebelling against the pickup selector ring's instructions :tongue: ). Still, it kinda bugged me. What bugs me more is that I like strats to have single coil neck and middle pickups, but sometimes want a humbucker in the bridge position (somehow saying I wanted a humbucker in the rear didn't sound right after admitting to being anal :eek: ). Right now I've got a strat copy with a hot rails in the bridge and there's obviously no way that I'm going to get that to balance with single coils with the possible exception of ultra hot soapbar types. That said, I'm wondering if anyone out there has a guitar with a single-single-hb setup that they think is balanced. I love Ernie Ball guitars, but even their Silhouette Special seemed much louder in the bridge setting than the others. Perhaps I'll just have to buy more guitars None .
Yup......Buy more guitars

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I don't know about a s/s/h configuration, not in my collection, but with a LP two HB setup I keep playing with the pickup height until I get the balance I'm looking for, same with the strat 3 singles setup. You could try lowering the bridge to see if you can get a balance.. might help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts