The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a pickup for my D-28 Authentic. I'd like something that is as natural acoustic sounding as I can get and has volume, bass and treble control. I know those pickups with the mics that go on the bridge plate are popular but I'm not sure how that will work for my guitar. The 1941 specs include a small bridge plate.
I'm going to use a Yorkville Elite EP10 as my acoustic amp. I originally bought it as my monitor to use in a band that had an unpowered board. I'm in a different band that has their own passive monitors so I figured I'd use it as an acoustic amp.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
What about running your pickup into a fishman aura preamp before it hits the amp? That way you dont have to worry about nailing the acoustic sound with your pickup alone. They can also profile your actual guitar so that your amped tone will be your tone.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
I have the LR Baggs Anthem. It combines a a pzm mic on the bridge plate with an undersaddle pick-up. Doesn't have bass and treble controls as such, but has a blend control between the two channels which is effectively the same thing, as the undersaddle captures more bass and the pzm more treble. There is also a phase switch which affects the mids and seems to vary from PA to PA.

Not cheap at around 3 bills, not counting installation, but a great system.

And a pre-amp is never a bad idea. I use the LR Baggs ParaDI - it's amazing.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Yeah, K&K and maybe a preamp. I have them on 4 of my guitars and use a redeye preamp.

There’s another similar pickup name might be Dazo or something like that; they cost more than the K&K and I think placement is more critical with them.

K&K sounds pretty natural and is minimally invasive. I run mine through a Traynor Acoustic Master 225 Custom.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I have K&K combo (piezzo under saddle and pure mini under bridge) installed on Taylor 510.
Had put pure country under bridge instaled in Martin D-35 and Boucher OOO.
Also have K&K classical (4 mic instead of four) in classical Ramirez R-4.

Well, also got LRBaggs combo installed on Larrivée L-03 koa (replacing a Schertler piezzo that would not combine well, e.g. impedance problem I read).

The under bridge mic component does make a difference !
The problem is it could generate more feedback : may install a preface and/or a cap on the soundhole to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts