The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Picks with Grip!

1K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  landosystem 
#1 ·
Currently, I am using the Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III Carbon Fiber Guitar Picks and they work great however when my arthritis flares up I definitively can use additional help with grip. Any suggestions for other brands etc....

#2 ·
No suggestions but a heads up!

I bought and fell I love with Dava picks! I love the way the grip felt but when it came to doing pick slides the pick would get stuck on the strings because of the way the grips are constructed!

I sort of solved this problem by drilling a hold right through the middle of the pick about a pencil width in circumference. It becomes skin against skin snd hence no more slippage!

#12 ·
The irony concerning picks is, I only started using them approx 1.5 Yrs ago, prior, I preferred to finger pick even with an electric I never used a pick, unfortunately, arthritis got worse and finger picking became more difficult and I had to learn using a pick..the worst part is my finger picking is terrible now..haha
Oh well, one step forward two steps back, such is life!!

#14 ·
V-picks have a property that causes your skin to grip the plastic. It's a temperature and skin chemistry that just helps you grip them unusually well.

After playing for a few minutes I can open my index and thumb and the pick will hang vertically for 30sec +. Allows for very supple playing. Once you sprinkle the fact that the tone is also special and the speed is noticeably faster, you start to understand why the company is starting to take off.

#21 ·
For me..... Making a suggestion is difficult. The reason why is because IMO a lot of choosing a pick depends on if you are a heavy handed player or a light handed player. But what I can suggest if gripping a pick is difficult for you, how about trying a thumb pick? Or...... Try gluing a piece of sand paper to where you hold the pick. Les Paul did that & maybe EVH did. Then there's playing with one's fingers like Mark Knopfler or Jeff Beck.

#23 ·
Well......... I like to think of me replying to a 7 year old post as something like a "message in a bottle" that washes ashore many years later!! 😅 Seriously though.... Recently I made & started a discussion regarding Guitar pick gauge & tone that prompted a post by polyslax that contained posts that he suggested I read that were on topic with the discussion I started. I read them all, posted comments (or replies) on them all, but neglected to pay attention to their date of posting!! OOPS!! BTW..... I liked what he suggested I read!!(y)(y)