The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I have a Dave Matthews pick I found on my seat before the concert started. He must have tossed it when doing the sound check.

Also have one of Todd Rundgren’s picks from his Elmocambo shows. It’s just a Manny’s Music pick though.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Sweet Ace pick.

The Gruhn cow is from Dave Grohl at the afterparty to Rush going into the RRHOF out in LA. The Neil was tossed by a roadie in Kingston. The Warren Haynes was after a Mule show at the Queen Elizabeth in Toronto. The Wolfgang Van Halen was from Valerie Bertinelli sidestage the last time they played the ACC with DLR.

The white one on the end that says "Nancy" has a story...

Heart was playing in Kingston a handful or more years ago on Feb 13th I believe. I figure I will try my luck for a little V'day getaway for the wife and I and some friends and make a weekend out of it. Heart has a presale through their site and I get 4 dead centre, row 1. Day of the show, our friends call and say they are heading to the hospital with their daughter who has a temp around 104 and can their son stay with our sitter over at our place until they figure out her situation. We call a couple neighbours but nobody is free to head out in the next hour so we take off.

We head to the arena and as we're waiting on a light at Tragically Hip Way (I believe that is the name of the street the arena is on) there's a guy with his daughter waiting with us. I ask him if it's her first show and he says yes - he won 2 tickets off the radio and she's also been taking guitar lessons so this is a big night for her. "She's the envy of all her friends in grade nine." I tell him "fantastic to hear - you're night just got better" and slide him the two extra tickets. He's like "What the...??" and gives us stink-eye trying desperately to figure out what my scam is with the tickets I gave him. I explain I bought 4, we're only using 2. I am zero tolerance on scalping (your opinion may differ - but that's mine), so as long as you go in with us (so I know those tickets aren't going to get sold 10 seconds after we split up), there'll be 2 empty seats beside my wife that you have the tickets for. Don't know where your seats from the radio station are - but I doubt they'll be better...

We go grab a couple cocktails, head down to our seats and slowly let the tell-tale scent of wine barf waft our way which clearly signals IT'S LADIES NIGHT! tonight at the K-Rock Arena - when the dad and daughter come walking up and she's got tears in her eyes and dad is still sorta unsure what he's getting away with - but it's clear he's still uncomfortable with the whole thing. They haven't sat down more than a couple minutes when the lights go down and it's showtime.

The daughter is up and screaming/jumping, my wife is giving me the sideways glance that lets me know I might even get lucky tonight with the way this whole extra ticket thing worked its way out when Nancy Wilson starts throwing down the opening riff to Barracuda. The daughter is givin' 'er all she's got up to about the point the drums kick in and the band settles in then poof - she's down. Like dropped through the floor. Fastest faint I've ever seen in my life. David Copperfield couldn't have made her disappear any quicker. Dad grabs shoulders, I grab her feet and start getting her out when a couple guys over the barricade grab her and dad takes off.

Figure it was maybe 20 seconds worth of Heart she saw.

Before the encore, Nancy comes over and gives a pick to me and Ann hands a drumstick to my wife.

The next night we're back at home and the phone rings. Turns out the Heart site presale tickets all had my name printed on them and since I had mentioned where we were from, the dad put 2 & 2 together and called to say his daughter was alright and thank us for the best night ever...

While the medical staff was working on her (she had just fainted so nothing too serious) - the manager of Heart had seen what had happened and tracked them down. They shared the story of their adventure and then the manager called someone to bring her "one of everything" they had backstage for this girl who was so excited to see Heart. The dad explained she got a Heart hockey jersey signed by the band, autographed pictures, guitar picks, a guitar strap - the works. She started getting all worked up again when they brought it to her that dad decided that's enough - grab your coat we're going home.

No idea if that's why they gave us the pick and stick - but I suspect the manager might have assisted after talking to them in the medical room.

DSC_0047.JPG

I caught this one that Keith tossed to me - it says Darryl Jones on the other side (Stones bassist since the mid-90's or so)

DSC_0385.JPG

That might be the only one I got in the midst of the action. My kids and I always have picks on us when we go to shows. I won't ask anyone for one - but I will offer to trade one of mine for one of theirs if I find myself face to face with someone that I suspect may have one in a pocket.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What a cool story. What an awesome gift you gave her.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if that young girl is a member of Guitars Canada and sees this post!

Thanks for sharing,

·
Registered
15,345 Posts

Reactions: StratCat
1 - 6 of 6 Posts