The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Opinions?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as much as it pains me to say, I am considering trading in my MTD Z5 for another 4 string (maybe a Z4?). I love the bass but after a pile of work I still can't seem to do the things on it that I can do on my Jazz.
There are songs that my band plays that really require at least a low D so here's what I'm thinking.

Trade the Z5 for a Z4 and get a drop D tuner for the Jbass
Trade the Z5 for ? and tune it BEAD leave JBass as it is.

I should note I love the Jbass and getting rid of it is not an option.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have you tried a 5 string Jazz. That's what I use most of the time. The odd time that I play a four string I really have to think about what I'm doing because I'm so used to the 5. At any rate, get what you like best because you are the only one who can decide what is best for you. Now get the heck back in that wood shed and quit your damn whining.:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I voted for two options: 1 and 3.

1. Because you can get used to a 5 if you focus exclusively on it. One thing to consider is that you may not have the 5 that is right for you. I can't play Fender 5's (which rather annoys me) but I love Peavey 5's, especially the Cirrus 5, and MTD Heir and Kingston 5's. They have asymmetrical necks that work for my hands.

2. Also an excellent choice. I need to order a HipShot X-tender for my Precision. They allow for a better sounding D than is on most 5's. Also you can tune them down to a C if you need to and the bass will still sound reasonably well if you use the proper gauge strings.

Really only you can decided which will work best for you. I wouldn't fault you for going either way. If you were going to go with the X-tender, why not put it on the Jazz.

·
Registered
944 Posts
As one of the pickle finger crowd who has tried to play a 5, retuning the 4 was less stressful :frown:

·
Registered
97 Posts
"Because you can get used to a 5 if you focus exclusively on it. One thing to consider is that you may not have the 5 that is right for you. I can't play Fender 5's (which rather annoys me) but I love Peavey 5's, especially the Cirrus 5, and MTD Heir and Kingston 5's. They have asymmetrical necks that work for my hands."

i agree with 'fenderman' here, until i tried a dingwall with an asymmetrical neck, i really didn't like the feel of the wider 5 string necks. it took me about two weeks to get comfortable enough on the fiver to start playing out with it...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew you guys would tell me to quite whining.:food-smiley-004:
Truth is I'd been playing the Kingston Z5 for almost a year exclusively. I picked up the jazz about a month ago and went 'WOW, no struggling'. The problem is short fingers coupled with wider neck and longer reach on the lower frets because it has a 35" scale length.

Step one is going to be putting a drop D tuner on the jazz.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yeah, there's a 1/4" diff at the nut between the Z5 and the J. My Stilleto is 1-5/8" at the nut which is the same as a P and a stretch for me at that and the 35" is not easy playin way down there, (I played short-scales for 30+ yrs until last year). But I dig it! It is awesome and I rarely use the 4-string now. In fact, I need another 5. :smilie_flagge17: $$

Maybe a differnt 5-string, like Lowtones suggested, with a narrower neck and/or 34" scale. Try some out, ya know ya wanna. MTD's are beautiful basses, I can understand your dilemma.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I enjoy both and I agree with Michelle, the Z5 is a beautiful bass. As long as your happy is all that matters. I also want a second five, but that will be a way off :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts