The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Specs Please. What kind of mesa
The Mesa was a Transatlantic TA-30. For the Warmoth the guy I got it from said he got it built by Warmoth. He said it was $1,930 US when he got it. It has an alder body with flame burl maple cap and flame binding, a birdseye soft oval C maple neck with stainless medium jumbo frets, Dimarzio Area T in the neck and an Area T Vintage PAF in the bridge, Gotoh bridge and tuners, Not sure about the electronics. Also not sure about the second toggle switch. It is a three way and alters the tone. If you go to the Warmoth site and pick the best of everything that's what you get. Didn't think I'd like the noiseless pickups but so far I'm loving them. I had about $1,500 into the Mesa, had it listed for on CL for $1,200. He had the Tele listed for $1,700. It worked out as a very good deal for both of us. I haven't had a Tele in a long time and he had joined a new band and needed a versatile amp for gigging.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The Mesa was a Transatlantic TA-30. For the Warmoth the guy I got it from said he got it built by Warmoth. He said it was $1,930 US when he got it. It has an alder body with flame burl maple cap and flame binding, a birdseye soft oval C maple neck with stainless medium jumbo frets, Dimarzio Area T in the neck and an Area T Vintage PAF in the bridge, Gotoh bridge and tuners, Not sure about the electronics. Also not sure about the second toggle switch. It is a three way and alters the tone. If you go to the Warmoth site and pick the best of everything that's what you get. Didn't think I'd like the noiseless pickups but so far I'm loving them. I had about $1,500 into the Mesa, had it listed for on CL for $1,200. He had the Tele listed for $1,700. It worked out as a very good deal for both of us. I haven't had a Tele in a long time and he had joined a new band and needed a versatile amp for gigging.
O ok it wasn't a vintage mesa. No the switch is probably a phase switch. I know warmoth can get really pricey. I hope you injoy your new toy and ps, you can always buy a new mesa wink ,wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
looks astonishing I bet it plays great.
Congratulations - so great that both of you were happy. Was it a straight trade?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Beautiful guitar!

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks astonishing I bet it plays great.
Congratulations - so great that both of you were happy. Was it a straight trade?
Yes it was a straight trade. I think it was pretty even in value if you consider other things besides actual monetary value. He had several guitars, some of which sounded like they were nicer and worth way more. He was looking for a well built amp to gig with. The TA-30 fits that bill very nicely indeed. Monetarily it was pretty close. In my books that is a great trade.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
You can get a Mesa anytime but beautiful, well-appointed teles only come up like this every now and again.

Reactions: sambonee

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
I guess people aren't aware? You can check a few boxes and buy one of those teles any day, all day long. I could order one today if I wanted one. The TA has been MD'd and is only available on the used market. And only going to get harder to find down the road, IMO. I couldn't necessarily buy one today, unless I scoured websites, Reverb, etc.

But I think it was a good trade for you, @Kerry Brown . If the amp was not being used and you are in a tele frame of mind, that looks like a real nice one. And you've already dealt with the depreciation inherent in partscasters - you are into it for what is probably real market value.

But mark my words, I think TA's are sleeper, under-the-radar amps that will become more desirable as the last NOS inventory gets bought up (as has probably already happened).

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess people aren't aware? You can check a few boxes and buy one of those teles any day, all day long. I could order one today if I wanted one. The TA has been MD'd and is only available on the used market. And only going to get harder to find down the road, IMO. I couldn't necessarily buy one today, unless I scoured websites, Reverb, etc.

But I think it was a good trade for you, @Kerry Brown . If the amp was not being used and you are in a tele frame of mind, that looks like a real nice one. And you've already dealt with the depreciation inherent in partscasters - you are into it for what is probably real market value.

But mark my words, I think TA's are sleeper, under-the-radar amps that will become more desirable as the last NOS inventory gets bought up (as has probably already happened).
I agree it is a great amp. The closest replacement right now is the Mesa Triple Crown TC-50 at $2,639. I do see the odd TA-30 used but they are getting rare. People hang onto them for a reason. I know at some point I will regret not having it. For now I'm very happy with the trade. If I do need an amp like that again in the future I am sure I can find something that will work. For now the Piper (Garnet) and the old 6AQ5 military amp covers my needs.

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
I agree it is a great amp. The closest replacement right now is the Mesa Triple Crown TC-50 at $2,639. I do see the odd TA-30 used but they are getting rare. People hang onto them for a reason. I know at some point I will regret not having it. For now I'm very happy with the trade. If I do need an amp like that again in the future I am sure I can find something that will work. For now the Piper (Garnet) and the old 6AQ5 military amp covers my needs.
I'm just starting to read how the heads are now more expensive than the combos. And wouldn't you know what I've been keeping an eye out for.

As I've said, my TA15 and PS get me close enough. I still love that boost switch, though.

And yea, I think you're doing just fine in the amp department! :)

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
i think it might be spalted flamed maple, with the two tones. Either way its a beauty

1 - 20 of 32 Posts