The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty damn cool guitar. Chambered Mahogony body with a Spruce top, and a fairly chunky C neck. Reverend P-90's, and their "Bass contour' control which is tough to explain, but gives you some cool tone options.

Now onto the tone. The P-90's are sort of somewhere between Gibson P-90's and a single coil Strat tone. So not as hot as some P-90's. The style of the body lends something to that sound as well I am sure.

The Les Trem is pretty cool. It's one thing I was a little worried about when I got it as an option. They list it as an upgrade to a Bigsby on their site though and I would have to agree with that. It's got a really smooth action. Plus you can switch it out with the normal hard bridge anytime.

An extremely versatile and unique sounding (and looking) guitar.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats, thats a very cool looking guitar. Still has vintage styling but a unique vibe as well. Can you tell me more about those trems? I'm mostly interested in stability, and profile (ie could I close my gibson HSC if I put one on my les paul or sg?)... how easy is it to swap back and forth etc. I wouldnt be divebombing with one, just some tastefull chet atkins warbles every now and then.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I play a lot of Surf, and some Duanne Eddy and stuff. The Les Trem is perfect for that kind of stuff. I personally find it feels more stable and has a better action than Bigsby's I have played.

Unfortunately I don't have a hard case here to put the guitar in (I ordered a gig bag) to test out how it fits. But it appears to me with the bar turned sideways that the profile is fairly low. I THINK the roller bar or bridge setup on a Bigsby would stick up higher then the Les Trem would.

I took a closer look, and the mod does leave 1 screw hole. But, I don't know if that screw HAS to put in or not. It sits right under the spring.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
I've been curious about the Reverends. This is the one that has caught my eye.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya the Jetstream is pretty nice. The Flatroc's with the Filtrons in them are pretty cool looking too. It was really hard to decide on just one.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Reverend make cool instruments. I had a Rocco for a while and it was a cool looking guitar too. I have a Reverend Hellhound amp that is fantastic.

That Charger 290 looks so sweet! How do you like the neck? I hope any dealers in Canada get smart enough to take on some Reverend guitars!

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have always been interested in the Reverend amps, but they are pretty tough to find now.

I find the neck on the Charger perfect. I like necks to be a little chunky, and this one is a fairly chunky C profile.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...the coolest thing about that trem bridge is that you can adjust the length of the arm. that could lead to some interesting playing techniques.

i wish these guitars were available in canada - i've been intrigued by them for years.

-dh

·
Registered
546 Posts
torndownunit said:
I have always been interested in the Reverend amps, but they are pretty tough to find now.

I find the neck on the Charger perfect. I like necks to be a little chunky, and this one is a fairly chunky C profile.
They stopped making the amps.

You can find them on the net. Elderley Inst. had a couple a while ago.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dolphinstreet said:
I hope any dealers in Canada get smart enough to take on some Reverend guitars!
I think I actually prefer ordering them from Reverend. They set the guitar up to your specs with what string guage you want. You can get what options you want. They are great to deal with.

Here is the really odd thing about this purchase though. They only ship with UPS so I thought I was going to get nailed as usual for thier ridiculous fees. I didn't pay tax, duty, or a UPS brokerage fee on the guitar. I was in shock when they delivered it and nothing was owing.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
rollingdam said:
Nice guitars but a shame all made in Korea now
IT was a 'Have to stay in business' decision.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
torndownunit said:
Here is the really odd thing about this purchase though. They only ship with UPS so I thought I was going to get nailed as usual for thier ridiculous fees. I didn't pay tax, duty, or a UPS brokerage fee on the guitar. I was in shock when they delivered it and nothing was owing.
...gotta love that!

-dh

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Robert1950 said:
IT was a 'Have to stay in business' decision.
Also it's not like they just order them, and ship em out with out looking at them like some other companies. They inspect and set up all the guitars before mailing. And they seem totally happy with the quality of the instruments, as am I.

·
Registered
546 Posts
torndownunit said:
Also it's not like they just order them, and ship em out with out looking at them like some other companies. They inspect and set up all the guitars before mailing. And they seem totally happy with the quality of the instruments, as am I.
Koreans have to eat. It's too bad we can't compete. We can't though.

·
Registered
788 Posts
nothing wrong with my MIK parker pm20, although I upgraded all the hardware and pups, the fit finish and build quality is up there with my other guitars and happens to be my most resonant guitar, also the loudest unplugged at a third of the price or more :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO, there is something wrong with MIK/MIC instruments though when the companies perform little or no quality control before shipping them out. Which unfortunately is what most companies, especially the larger ones, seem to do. But it can be done right. Ibanez has great quality control, and as mentioned Reverend sets the guitars up to your specs before mailing them out.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
torndownunit said:
IMO, there is something wrong with MIK/MIC instruments though when the companies perform little or no quality control before shipping them out. Which unfortunately is what most companies, especially the larger ones, seem to do. But it can be done right. Ibanez has great quality control, and as mentioned Reverend sets the guitars up to your specs before mailing them out.
Other US companies that have good QC on their Korean axes is G&L and PRS. But with Reverend, this is their entire business. Excellent QC is essential.

·
Premium Member
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Exactly. Any of the guitar brands mentioned, I would be completely comfortable buying without trying them out/mail order. I would never try the same thing with an Asian made Fender or Epiphone. It's those big companies quality control practices that are responsible for giving current foreign made guitars a bad name.

Another example on the amp front is Vox. People seems to love the new AC30 and AC15 reissues, and they are made in China.

·
Premium Member
16,658 Posts
Well I've never done a scientific study on the subject but I have an acoustic guitar made in Korea and been pretty good as far as durability goes. It's doesn't play like butter, but surprisingly the piezo and preamp sound much better than I would expect. I've been gigging with it for around 15 years.

Not bad for around $300.

The Reverend by the way, looks very cool. Something funky about the shape.

I like it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts