The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 70 Fender Princeton. I had a 77 PR a while back and regretted selling it the day after. Been looking for over a year but the prices were a little steep. The seller should be shipping it tomorrow so I should have it by Thursday. From the pics, it looks like it's in great shape. I'm anxious to hear the difference in sound from my old one. The 70 is supposed to have the blackface circuitry and minus reverb on this one. I'll have to pick up a decent reverb pedal, I've always liked a little verb with the Tele. Would also be interested in running the Jensen P12N through it. The thing I like about the older Princetons is the fact that the baffle is removable, making it easier to go to a 12" speaker. I was also wondering if the lack of reverb in the circuit will allow a higher volume before breakup begins? My 77 PR had a beautiful clean tone till the knob hit 5 -6. Here's a few pics the seller provided.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Brian from all I have read about Princeton's VS. Princeton Reverbs, there is a huge difference in the level they breakup at. The Princeton's are known for having very little breakup.

I have a 1968 Princeton Reverb that I love. I've always wanted to get a Princeton as well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm with what Ian has said, for sure the non-verb pr's are cheaper as well..! congrats, these are great amps ! best one I ever heard belongs to Mike Spicer (worlds greatest restore tech in Hamilton) and that thing was unbelievably loud ! for sure the rev circuit loads down the amp, I know from my 68dr, that is starts to give up pretty early with distortion !

great amps ! enjoy

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
I've got a 68' Non-reverb and a 79' Reverb. The NR doesn't breakup until 8 or so on the dial, whereas the Reverb breaks up between 4 and 5 (I did the "Stokes Mod" on her and have a Rajin Cajun installed). Playing by myself I like to have some verb' but never use it with the band, in which case I prefer the NR - it just seems to be a bit sweeter. I did make a new baffle and put a more-efficient G12H30 in the NR which makes a dramatic increase in output and fullness. I love them both equally for what they do (and how much they weigh :smile:).

Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm with what Ian has said, for sure the non-verb pr's are cheaper as well..! congrats, these are great amps ! best one I ever heard belongs to Mike Spicer (worlds greatest restore tech in Hamilton) and that thing was unbelievably loud ! for sure the rev circuit loads down the amp, I know from my 68dr, that is starts to give up pretty early with distortion !

great amps ! enjoy

Haha I knew Mike's Princeton was famous but not that famous. His sounds so warm and just...perfect...couldn't ask for a better sounding amp. My dad actually picked that amp up for him at a garage sale for $50 about a decade ago I believe.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Ya forgot to mention I have a 12" Weber 12F150 in mine, and it's in a slightly larger cabinet from Allen Amplification. It's a surprisingly powerful little amp with that setup.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Those reports are why I want to get one. I'd love an amp like that for tele playing. Knowing how loud my PR gets with a 12" in it, I'd love to do the same to a regular Princeton and get that clean sound.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Those reports are why I want to get one. I'd love an amp like that for tele playing. Knowing how loud my PR gets with a 12" in it, I'd love to do the same to a regular Princeton and get that clean sound.
I've used my 79 SFPR (Rajin Cajun & Stokes Mod) with my 68 SFPNR (G12H30 & unmodded) together in stereo with the signal split via an H2O and the resulting sound is glorious.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the Princeton today, fired it up and sounded good with a small amount of hiss. Cleaned some of the crud off it and swapped out the preamp tubes. It's dead quiet now, it sounds fantastic. Has original GE power tubes, I stuck a new set of JJ's in, just because I had a set kickin around. I'm blown away by the sound of these amps. I like reverb but the thing sounds great without it. You can crank these up a little more than the PR's without breakup. With the volume at 6 this thing sounds almost as full as a Deluxe. I can only imagine how it would sound through a 1x12 cab.:rockon2::banana:

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Congrats!

Is the baffle removable? You could always make or purchase one with a 12" cutout. Alternatively, I highly recommend the Eminence Rajin Cajun'.

How bout' some pics :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since giving up a 77 Princeton Reverb a while back, I was determined to find an older Princeton with a removable baffle. I cleaned it up a bit yesterday, the grille cloth was pretty grimey. I actually liked the brown patina but was worried all the crud would rot the cloth prematurely. Within the next couple of weeks I plan on making a 12" baffle, I'm going to try the P12N first. Hopefully it fits, it's a big speaker with the bell cover on it. About the Eminence Rajin Cajun, I've never heard one, is it known for early break up or does it have lots of bottom end. I'm looking for the latter. I know a JBL will sound fantastic but it will add another 20lbs, trying to maintain its light weight.

Before cleaning

After cleaning

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Man but that's lovely!

The Rajin Cajun handles a lot of power and helps with the bottom end (as much as you can get of of this circuit anyway). I also have a Hellatone 30 (G12H30) in my 68' and it sounds great too. It's actually one of my favourites and I would have loved to put one in the 79' but there was no way I was cutting the original baffle.

Here's a "front and back" of mine.

I made the 12" baffle with a bit of help from a friend (including the drip edge from some flooring trim). Even with the 12" G12H, the 68' is lighter than the 79'. That MDF must have added 10 lbs over the pine. BTW, if you make a baffle, just remember to offset it and the speaker should clear the transformer.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
hey
what did you use to clean the grill cloth? my old National could sure use a scrub.
the before and after on the Prince is astonishing...nice score
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chris did you use birch plywood for your new baffle?

Riff, I just used hot water and shampoo believe it or not. I try to always stick the mildest cleaner I can find. After a very quick rinse and dry with the shop vac I gave it a carpet cleaner, the kind you get at Can. Tire or Walnut with the little plastic scrub brush, though a use a softer brush to lightly scrub the cloth then another quick rinse. I try to rinse quickly so as to not water log the baffle. The spray foam carpet cleaner usually works by itself but I had only a small amt. left in the can, that's why I started with the shampoo first. Brian

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Yup - my friend had a really nice piece laying around. A bit lighter than the particle board.

That's good advice on the grillcloth cleaning too. I'll have to try that on the original:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Concerning original Fender power tubes, techs have found that the original '77 6V6 in my Champ cannot be improved upon.

Congratulations on your '70 Princeton!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts