The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking out a Squire strat that has had a HB installed in the bridge (aftermarket) and there is a strange problem here that has me a little puzzled.
Checked the pups and they all seem good, HB 7.4K singles are 5.1 and 4.9. Checked the switch and all is functioning properly. The problem occurs when the position 2 on the switch, combing the HB and the SC the sound gets real thin. Both pickups work fine in there respective switch positions. I'm thinking that they are out of phase, is this possibly what is happening ? The HB is a two wire as are the SC's. Would swapping the HB's wire remedy the situation ?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
the hummbucker with ONLY 2 wires sounds strange unless the 2 coils are wires in series at the pickup side and then you would have a ground and live wire left to attach.
I would play the easy game and reverse the single coil wires.

If your strat is the common 3 pickup arrangement you may not want to mess with the middle pickup if its set up for hum canceling. I dont know if reversing this pickup changes the hum canceling property.

I know this reply is confusing cause I am confused BUT heres a nice tip that I use when mucking with pickups.

When you take stuff apart to rewire the pickups, have your amp ready. Plug in your guitar after any new soldering and just tap the pickups with a screwdriver.
If you get tapping sounds from the amp, at least you know there is a signal . Nothing worse then putting stuff all together again only to find out you made a bad solder and now you have a dead pickup.
By the way, make sure you tap the pickups in all the switch positions.
Good luck and have fun playing with those wires.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go the problem solved. You were on to something GTmaker. I checked the HB ground to the plate and it was bonded. So instead of fooling around with that I switched the SC's and bingo problem gone. Thanks for the tip. :food-smiley-004:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts