The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep going back to a yellow DunlopTortex,but does anybody have a "secret weapon"?If so,what is it,and how does it affect your tone/attack/playing style?I find that even a different type of plastic will affect the tone,and the shape or thickness will change the attack.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I think a lot of it depends on your picking style and attack. I played those yellow tortex picks for a long time and thought they were best for me and eventually discovered that I liked the orange tortex ones best for the way I strum. Picks are fairly cheap. Buy one of each and test drive for an afternoon.

And by the way, I've got a '67 Hummingbird as well. Are they not the best? :tongue:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nine said:
I think a lot of it depends on your picking style and attack. I played those yellow tortex picks for a long time and thought they were best for me and eventually discovered that I liked the orange tortex ones best for the way I strum. Picks are fairly cheap. Buy one of each and test drive for an afternoon.

And by the way, I've got a '67 Hummingbird as well. Are they not the best? :tongue:
Hell yes! My buddy was doing some recording with his Gibson Cheryl Crow model.I dropped by with the Hummingbird and he just about lost his mind!NO comparison!The little birdy made Daddy proud!LOL!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
My 'secret weapon' picks are Dunlops Hot Licks Copper, I prefer the .009s

From smooth and warm to a sharp snap just by varying your attack.

Bonus - they never break. Drawback - they aren't cheap ($5 or so for 3).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I absolutely love the Dava picks. I tried them for the first time a couple years ago, and haven't put them down since.

http://www.davapick.com/

The green ones for electric, the grip tip ones on acoustic.

L&M carry them.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Green (.88) Dunlops for the last 10+ years.

One problem I have with picks in general is that they don't last more than a sesion. It seems silly that they cant make them last longer. It's not like they would have to worry about sales dropping if they were to make a pick that would last forever..............I lose more than half the picks I buy anyway!

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Don't use them very often (use mostly fingers), but when I do I like the blue tortex. I don't like the little "click" that you get with the yellows and oranges. The blue seems more precise to me, too.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
nine said:

Yep. The orange ones.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used dunlop jazz III for a while , but they suck for downpicking fast . I now play orange brains , but I don't mind any heavy gauge picks (1.00 and up) .

·
Premium Member
11,018 Posts
Dunlop Ultex .73 in the regular old "351" flatpick shape for guitar. Dunlop Ultex 1.00 in the rounded 3 corner flatpick shape for mandolin. Fred Kelly Bumblebee thumbpick for fingerstyle guitar.

I find the Ultex suits my attack and ears, don't wear too much, are easy to "dress" when the edge does get worn, and are easy to hold.

Funny how my pick tastes have evolved. Before Ultex I used Dunlop Gators, and before that Dunlop Nylons. Experimenting with picks is always a happening thing, but I always come home to Ultex.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have been using the black nylon 1mm dunlops since 1989 when I started university (thats how I remember when I started). In the last 3 or so years I hasve become addicted to the 1mm (blue) tortex picks. Being the same thickness, you would think they would be similar but they are really worlds apart. I like the tortex feel, they are not too hard but not at all flimsy. The only thing is I can round off the tip in an hour of hard playing so I go through them like water. The nylons are not as aggresive but I like them for certain guitars, especially the ones I use lighter striongs on.

Picks are pretty "picky" if you think about it... I hate thin picks, anything less than 1mm seems like a piece of cardboard.

AJC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fender extra heavy jazz style picks. I used to use yellow dunlop tortex tear drops (the small, fat teardrops) until I broke my only one and I haven't been able to find any more in stores in my area. I'm used to the fenders now though.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Dunlop .60 mm, the grey. Not too flexible, not too stiff, though i'm starting to like thicker picks now.

Versitile, but I get that click sometimes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dunlop .96 the purple ones with the alligator, Tortex I guess. Been using anything around a 1.0 for 20 years now.

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
Anyone ever try these:

http://www.v-picks.com/

They were all the rage for a while over on the GP, (or maybe it was the Birds and Moon page). So I bought a couple to check them out. Just wasn't for me. I liked the material, really nice to grip, but the thickness and the density were just not to my liking, and I wasn't crazy about the way the guitar sounded either.

·
Registered
272 Posts
nothing but Dunlop!

I'm a hardcore Dunlop user - them and Brain picks (the ones that are ripoffs of the Dunlop nylon picks) are the only ones I seem to like. As for which Dunlop, it depends on what I'm playing. For rock/pop stuff I like the grey or black (thicker) nylon or tortex (green, blue or purple - doesn't matter that much) and for my attempts at jazzy stuff I really love the delrin picks - 1.5mm. I've tried a huge slew of picks and will probably try more in the future, but I always seem to end up coming back to Dunlop. I don't see how you can get any control with the thin picks, but a number of people seem to like them - to each his own :food-smiley-004:.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Red Bear

I just recently picked up a couple of Red Bear tortis picks. I figured that while I was trying to break bad habits in my right hand I should make a total departure from my most recent favourite Brain Picks in either 1 or 1.14 mm thickness. These Red Bear are not cheap. $22 - 25 is what I have seen them go for in the store, but holy crap! The tone is remarkable and my picking seems to be more fluid and a little quicker. I use a "C" size/model.

You guys might think I'm nuts to spend this kind of money, but when I use any other pick now, my playing doesn't sound as good (to my ear). Even my buddy the guitar genius is impressed by the Red Bear picks. There are a lot of testimonials for these picks...you can check them out for yourself here:

http://www.redbeartrading.com/

1 - 20 of 46 Posts