The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting a new digital for a while. I finally picked myself up a starter SLR. Nikon D40x. For now just the included WA 18-55mm lense.

I usually overkill with my purchases but this time I refrained from getting the D80. I figure I'll spend my money on glass and then in a few years if need be upgrade the body.

What's everyone else use? Lets see some shots you are proud of...

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I have been using a Canon 10D since I bought it just over three years ago (now replaced with the 20D and 30D) I paid over $2200 just for the body then, I know things are less now, at that time there were only a handfull of "affordable" SLR's in existance. I think I paid just about 5.5K for my body, two lens's and my flash. I started writing for one of the major RC model airplane magazines in the US ( Fly RC ) which I still do a monthly column for. I needed to be able to get good photos of fast flying model planes, suitable for print in the mag.

I have just a lower end Canon 28-105 lens and my 70-200 L series and a 1.4 teleconverter. The 70-200 L is a really nice piece, crystal clear.

I would love to get a longer lens with a larger apature, but no way can I justify 3 or 4 grand on one lens :(

Here is one of my airplane shots. The jets fly well over 200 MPH and when that thing is streaking past you its VERY hard to get a good shot.

AJC

·
Registered
822 Posts
Good idea Jeff, to go for the cheaper body and save your money for the better glass. I'd be happy if my only choice was manual mode without all the autocrap features. Of course I moved up to digital from a fully manual/ mechanical camera in which the only thing the battery powered was the light meter.

I bought a first generation Canon digital rebel with the 18-55 kit lens. I have since added a 50mm f1.8. Much faster and sharper than the 50mm position on the zoom. Here's a "magic hour" shot from a couple of years ago.

http://ralphoto.ca/index.html

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
No I dont have the IS lens - that's too much coin again.

I sold off my entire Olympus SLR outfit (two bodies, OM1 and 2n) and about 15 various len's I accumulated over a long time, to pay for the canon stuff. Going from a complete manual system to the Canon digital 10D with a great autofocus sytem was a treat for many things.

However, I also do a lot of stills and I am always using the manual setting (manual f stops, shutter speed, etc but I still let the camera do the focus).

AJC

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I picked up a Nikon D80 this past January when we were on our cruise. I got it in St Maarten and saved about $400 off retail over here. I am very happy with it so far.

I would love to drive one of those to school each day... Drool

·
Registered
171 Posts
Taken when i was just trying to figure out all my cameras functions and such.

Turned the right half of the pic B/W and kept the colour on the left, also kept the colour on the "wood gundy" letters on the rightside

The great Chalkmaster!

A Church downtown

·
Registered
214 Posts
first one taken with kodak easy share.....
cheapy cam....rainbow trout

and this one with the canon power shot A540.....green snake

AUger

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...holy mind-blowing photography, batman! seriously, you guys are scary!

amazing stuff.

i have been saving up for a panasonic fz series, but canon seems to be so universally touted that i may have to reconsider.

image stabilization, high quality lens and 10-12X optical zoom are my main criteria.

-dh

·
Registered
737 Posts
My Backyard

Yes, I climb trees;

1 - 20 of 53 Posts