The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got one(love it) and learned a few things over time.

Roll the volume back on your guitar. If you don't it can be all over the place. Caution, if you use the special guitar setting you may sound a little out of tune with people using normal tuners. Heck it's so exact you can sound out of tune either way. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
seriously roll the volume back? odd. the thing about guitars is that you dont want perfect tuning. you tune just a bit off (its called tempered tuning) so that it plays very close to in tune across the neck instead of in tune in some positions and not in others

·
Premium Member
16,490 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
I've got one(love it) and learned a few things over time.

Roll the volume back on your guitar. If you don't it can be all over the place. Caution, if you use the special guitar setting you may sound a little out of tune with people using normal tuners. Heck it's so exact you can sound out of tune either way. :)
Sounds like a pain in the ass.

I suspect this strobe like previous Petersons is better suited to the work bench. For stage use, I personally want something quick and dirty that doesn't require special handling. I want to be able to tune while I'm talking to the audience between songs. A simple green/red LED bar works great.

Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Milkman said:

I suspect this strobe like previous Petersons is better suited to the work bench. For stage use, I personally want something quick and dirty that doesn't require special handling. I want to be able to tune while I'm talking to the audience between songs. A simple green/red LED bar works great.

Rolling your volume back isn't special handling. The only special handling is telling the guys that tuned up with the green/red LED bars that they are out of tune and to try again. :)

·
Premium Member
16,490 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Rolling your volume back isn't special handling. The only special handling is telling the guys that tuned up with the green/red LED bars that they are out of tune and to try again. :)

LOL, well, having a tuner that is much more accurate than a conventional one and using a conventional style guitar is putting the cart before the horse in my opinion. Most of my guitars are equipped with double locking tuners and stay in tune significantly better than your average guitar (even with all the little tricks like graphite solutions and so on).

It's a bit like using a microscope to evaluate a busted peghead.

Yes the Petersons are excellent tuners, but if they're finicky and don't play nice with conventional tuners (which put a good guitar in tune as good as anyone can hear), they're best left on the workbench. Great for intonation jobs.

·
Registered
788 Posts
if I had the cash to spend on one, I'd use it for sure...nothing wrong with quality equipement and knowing its the other guy out of tune :D

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Milkman said:

...the strobostomp has been at the top of my wishlist, but when i went to order one, the store manager, who is a friend, warned me against it. he says they are very, very finicky, and that i should definitely try before i buy. i'm beginning to think you're right - great for bench work, too finicky for stage use.

-david
toronto

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quick Tune Ups

For quick tuning in between songs onstage you cant beat the Boss TU-12 its auto to boot and I can recalibrate any of my guitars in about 20 seconds.
Small and fits nice in my pedal board. I've heard a lot of good things about the Peterson but who the hell needs a 300 dollar tuner.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quick Tune Ups

For quick tuning in between songs onstage you cant beat the Boss TU-12 its auto to boot and I can recalibrate any of my guitars in about 20 seconds.
Small and fits nice in my pedal board. I've heard a lot of good things about the Peterson but who the hell needs a 300 dollar tuner.

Ray

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Strobostomp is not "finicky". It is as tough as nails. I've had one one my board for a year now and it has flown in a flight case as checked baggage to Winnipeg, Calgary, Red Deer, Vancouver twice and has done numerous club dates in Ontario - no problem.

I've used it indoors, on outdoor stages at the CNE in bright sun light, in television studios, and in concert halls.

It is 100 times more accurate than a B*ss tuner. The first thing I did when I got it was to re-intonate my guitars - what a difference. It takes 2 seconds to check your tuning onstage - it is true bypass and you can tune silently - try that with your TU-12!

Unless you have a strobe tuner, you will never know or hear what it is like to be truly "in tune". The difference is unbelievable. The tempered tuning system of the 6 string guitar has nothing to with it - your instrument will be as in tune as it can possibly be. It will only sound sweeter with other instruments in the band.

If you ever have a problem with it, their customer service is unbelievable.
John Norris, their rep, will bend over backwards for you.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
I love my Strobostomp!

Hi folks! I couldn't agree with Frog more. I am a TU2 convert to the Strobostomp and like any new piece of gear it takes a while to get to know it but mine works great. Accurate, easy to use, easy to see plus it is true bypass. I could notice the tone coloration with my TU2. The Strobostomp rules!

·
Administrator
15,979 Posts
We played outdoors a few weeks ago. I had no trouble whatsoever using the strobostomp but our other guitar player was on his hands and knees trying to read the Boss TU-2. Now that I'm more familiar with the Peterson it takes no time at all to tune up properly.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
davetcan said:
We played outdoors a few weeks ago. I had no trouble whatsoever using the strobostomp but our other guitar player was on his hands and knees trying to read the Boss TU-2. Now that I'm more familiar with the Peterson it takes no time at all to tune up properly.
I had the exact same experience at an outdoor gig back in June. I've always liked my Boss tuner but I couldn't see the LEDs and LED display for shit because we were in the Sun. Although, I've never had any problem using the Boss tuner in clubs, pubs etc.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i ended up buying the korg dt-10. its probably less accurate than the strobostomp, but definitely more accurate than the boss, which i demoted to backup.

-dh

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I've always wanted a Stobostomp, mainly for intonation use. If it is that accurate, it would probably be difficult if there are are two guitarists in the band trying to keep in tune with each other if one guy is using the Strobostomp and the other guy a standard tuner?

·
Registered
748 Posts
The strobostomp has been the first pedal tuner that i've had.... but the reason I bought it is becuase I wanted to avoid having to upgrade, upgrade upgrade, then finally buy the strobostomp. I tend to do that a lot with gear (especially pedals), and I never learn the lesson of "spending a little extra money for pro gear, and quality products will probably save me money in the long run)".

I've had the StroboStomp for about a year now, played close to 75 shows with it, brought it to the UK (dirty power), and have only had one bad experience with it. The plastic nut holding the input connector broke. I simply went to the strobostomp forum, and told them that I had a problem, and they contacted me back within the hour and mailed me out a pair of brand new metal nuts to replace them with the same day.

I'm confident that this pedal will stand the test of time, and if it doesn't, their service department has already impressed me.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There is MORE to the Peterson than accuracy.

Just as a piano does not sound in tune if every string is tuned to exact mathematical pitch, a guitar need tempered tuning to sound correct on all chords.

Systems like Buzz Fieten are other ways to deal with the problem.

The Peterson has a proprietary (they publish all the other tunings but not the guitar one) setting (each sting is tuned slightly up or done to perfect pitch)which when combined with it's accuracy is absolute bliss to those who can hear at that level. I find mine as fast to use as my old Boss TU-2.

Honestly, I would rather give up one of my Les Pauls than be without this tuner. I struggled for years tuning. It almost never sounded quite right. Now it's perfect all the time.

PS - BONUS

Because the Peterson puts you so in tune to start with, you stay in tune better while you play. I sometimes retune once, after the opening one or two songs of a set, but after that, almost never.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts