The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title say's...I want to flip the magnet on one of my PRS McCartys'. Can anyone recommend a tech who I can send the pickup to? I would like to keep it in Canada. Thank you!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I really recommend trying it yourself. I saw instructions (maybe even on Jon's site, but more likely the duncan one) you simply slide the magnet out the side and flip it 180 degrees like a pancake.

I had always thought his was Electronically out of phase, your idea makes more sense though given the braided shield.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
if you have a 4 wire pickup you can set it electronically out of phase, but the PG mod actually is the magnet flip.

My Voodoo 59 neck is flipped, I really like it, but a lot of guys prefer in phase. It is only truly out of phase when both volumes are equal, ie both on 10, and you get a slight volume drop on it, more treble, hollow tone. I think it's great.

Listen to Jumpin at Shadows.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you have a 4 wire pickup you can set it electronically out of phase, but the PG mod actually is the magnet flip.

My Voodoo 59 neck is flipped, I really like it, but a lot of guys prefer in phase. It is only truly out of phase when both volumes are equal, ie both on 10, and you get a slight volume drop on it, more treble, hollow tone. I think it's great.

Listen to Jumpin at Shadows.
That is exactly the tone I am looking for! Dumb question, but will I acheive that tone with a McCarty considering it has only the one volume and tone control?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
with only the one vol control, I'd assume it'd be perfect for out of phase, ie the pickups would always be at equal volumes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts