The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Basically an older Clapton plus a Fishman. I love The Who & have nothing against signature models but this is NOT a guitar I'd associate with Townshend, what an absolute joke.

·
Registered
24,513 Posts
I saw the Who once, when they were touring behind "Sell Out" and I Can See For Miles was on the charts. Pete played a white Strat with white pickguard and white pickups, wearing a white frilly shirt and huge white bell-bottoms. At the end of the set, he smashed the Strat (can't remember if he did damage to the Sunn stack he was playing), and pieces flew in all directions. The bridge and the chunk of wood it was attached to landed in the hands of a guy I knew who was seated near the front So when you said it was limited to 75 pieces, all I could do was smile and think "Yeah, that seems about right from what I saw"

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing is, Pete has used this guitar for over 20 years. Much longer than a Rickenbacker, SG and Les Paul Deluxe combined.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The thing is, Pete has used this guitar for over 20 years. Much longer than a Rickenbacker, SG and Les Paul Deluxe combined.
Perhaps, but he's written little to no relevant music on a red Clapton Strat (I tried to listen to it - I even wasted $15 on the cassette for the Iron Man opera). Even though Pete may not have had the sense to wrap things up, the Who was done when Moon died & whatever instrument(s) he's used to carry on with the show band that still bears the same moniker is of zero interest.

If anything, Fender should have tried to cash in with a "Gretsch recording model" (he used Gretsch guitars pretty much exclusively in the studio during the 70s, the LP Deluxes were simply stage guitars since the Bigsbys don't stay in tune very well when you jump around as much as Pete does).

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Perhaps, but he's written little to no relevant music on a red Clapton Strat (I tried to listen to it - I even wasted $15 on the cassette for the Iron Man opera). Even though Pete may not have had the sense to wrap things up, the Who was done when Moon died & whatever instrument(s) he's used to carry on with the show band that still bears the same moniker is of zero interest.

If anything, Fender should have tried to cash in with a "Gretsch recording model" (he used Gretsch guitars pretty much exclusively in the studio during the 70s, the LP Deluxes were simply stage guitars since the Bigsbys don't stay in tune very well when you jump around as much as Pete does).
Valid points

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
yes!! great idea!!

that old orange Gretsch he recorded Who's Next with, I think?

ah...here we go:

Gretsch 6120 ‘Chet Atkins’ | Pete Townshend’s Guitar Gear | Whotabs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts