The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with this guitar? It's such an beautiful guitar and I'd really love to pull the trigger on buying one but................... it's just so expensive!

I was hoping that someone here had played one or checked one out in order to help guide my decision, which up to this point has been a very childish "NINE WANTY!!!!!". I guess you guys call that GAS. If so, I'm gassier than Rosie O'Donnell.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P90s? I think that's it. Haha.

That and it's going to be collectable due to the limited editionness of it.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
The Classics have P90's, too.

The major difference between the two would be the wraparound tailpiece on the PT vs. the tuneomatic on the Classic. Also the Classic may have a body made of multiple pieces whereas the PT should be one.

I'd love to try one of the current Historic SG Specials - I've always liked the '61-style small pickguard way more than the batwing of the PT and Classic.

Jim

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For some reason I like the small pickguard on normal SGs and totally despise the batwing guard but prefer the reverse on the SGs with p90s. I'm weird that way, I guess. But then on SG juniors, I prefer the cool roundish pickguard over the batwing. I'm a man of many conflicting tastes. :tongue:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it. Drool

Told you guys I was gassy! I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It's a really sweet guitar.

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
nine said:
I bought it. Drool

Told you guys I was gassy! I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It's a really sweet guitar.

Must give a report and post pics. Yeah, you are an SG guy

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright, so here are the pictures. First up is a couple of shots of the overall guitar. As you can see, it's been given a nice subdued brownish colour instead of that really red looking stock stain.

Next are some shots of the aging on the hardware. I know that some of you have all sorts of opinions on this kind of stuff, but I think it looks pretty good, actually:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

The finish has that dulled, broken in look and feel to it, which I prefer to super glossy new finishes. Everything is aged nicely and feels broken in.

So, in terms of how it plays, I mean, it sounds great. The p90s snarl with the best of them and you get three very distinct tones from the toggle switch. All are quite useable. It's got a lot of sustain and the notes are nice and defined sounding.

Overall, the guitar is really solid feeling. The neck is a little thicker than my other white Custom Shop SG, but not nearly as thick as that SG Classic they released a few years back. I didn't like that one at all. Like most SGs, it's a little on the neck heavy side, but not as much as many I've tried. And Jim Jones is right- the body is one piece. As it should be for a guitar like this.

Of course, it came with the super-tough Anvil case, which is very cool. I don't think I'd be too worried about travelling with it in that. Of course I'd be somewhat worried, but that case is about as safe as it gets. I certainly wasn't worried about it being shipped here, that's for sure.

I love this guitar. After fooling around with it for a day it certainly feels like it could push my white SG out of the number one spot.

·
Registered
131 Posts
SGs are just flat out awesome guitars - I've been wanting to save up for a PRS but I always seem to get "sidetracked" by a sweet-looking SG! Congrats man :bow:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. I'm really happy with it. Got to give it a go in band practice today and it was just fantastic. The sustain is just ridiculous and the tones it gives are so nice. The neck pickup particularly surprised me. It gave up a nice round tone with some snarly bite. I ended up using that pickup a lot of the time.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I notice there's one of the production models of the PT Sig for sale on the Gearpage. Has anyone played of these? I wonder if it's basically a Classic with a wraptail?

Jim

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jim Jones said:
I notice there's one of the production models of the PT Sig for sale on the Gearpage. Has anyone played of these? I wonder if it's basically a Classic with a wraptail?

Jim
For all intents and purposes, it probably is. Then again, for all intents and purposes, most people would think that my Limited Edition one is just a Classic with a stoptail but you and I know there's more of a difference than that.

Those Signature Townshend ones look pretty darn nice. I've played one of the Classics and didn't like it at all. The neck felt funny, the finish felt cheap despite its super glossiness and it was too light. All in all, it just didn't feel right to me.

http://www.kellyindustries.com/guitars/gibson_sg_pete.html

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/townshendsg.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=82024&src=3SOSWXXA

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Gibson/Pete+Townshend+Signature+Series+SG/10/2

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Ha! :smile:

I guess the production one would be alright in the $1000USD range, but yours is obviously a far nicer guitar. Do you do any recording? I'd love to hear that thing in action!

Jim

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not recording right now, but maybe I'll use it on my next musical masterpiece. I came up with a thing last night that I'd like to flesh out.

Oh yeah- and the band I'm playing with has a show in a couple of weeks that I'm planning to videotape, so maybe I'll post a song from that.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts