The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs. Greco and I made enough pesto for seven meals today. I grew all of the Italian basil from seed and my neighbour grew the garlic.

I also threw in some Thai basil from a plant that I rescued from the Canadian Tire store for $0.55 (taxes in)

Anyone else make pesto?

Pic from Chrome images...

·
Premium Member
3,064 Posts
I like to experiment with different kinda, walnut and sun-dried tomatoes or cashew, mint, cilantro and lime are two of my faves.

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
Just had some at lunch today, that I nade a few days ago. Just the plain vanilla type: fresh basil and garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, parmesan.

I wonder if capers would add an interesting quarter twist.

·
Premium Member
11,618 Posts
My ex used to grow lots of basil along the side of her townhouse complex. She came home one night and they'd power washed and painted the wall above it all, ruining about 10 large batches of pesto. Bastages. It's the only vegetarian meal I enjoy.

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
Looks good. I've never had pesto before.
I wouldn't say it is an acquired taste like, say, olives. But a little goes a long way. And obviously, one has to like basil. If you have a small blender/processor, or something that can at least accommodate total volumes of a cup or less, it's pretty easy to make.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Love pesto. We made a few batches too, chimichurri and a garlic scape pesto

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
Love pesto. We made a few batches too, chimichurri and a garlic scape pesto
Never eaten garlic scapes but the idea of using them instead of garlic sounds quite feasible. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for any nearby roadside vendors selling them.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chimichurri and a garlic scape pesto
I had to look both of them up...getting an education here from you "advanced foodies"

Chimichurri Sauce

This recipe for a colorful chimichurri sauce doubles as a marinade and an accompaniment to all cuts of beef.

Ingredients

MAKES ABOUT 2 CUPS
  • 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced or minced
  • 1 shallot, finely chopped
  • 1 Fresno chile or red jalapeño, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
  • 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation
Combine vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, garlic, shallot, and chile in a medium bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro, parsley, and oregano. Using a fork, whisk in oil. Remove 1/2 cup chimichurri to a small bowl, season with salt to taste, and reserve as sauce. Put meat in a glass, stainless-steel, or ceramic dish. Toss with remaining marinade. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Remove meat from marinade, pat dry, and grill.

Spoon reserved sauce over grilled meat.

Garlic Scapes

What are Garlic Scapes?
Garlic scapes are the flower bud of the garlic plant. The bud is removed in late June to encourage the bulbs to thicken up. Scapes make a fabulous addition to a flower bouquet, and they are delicious to eat! Scapes taste just like garlic. They can be used in exactly the same way as garlic in any recipe.

Using Garlic Scapes
Garlic scapes can be used just like garlic in recipes. They are very versatile. Try them in a sauté, roasted, pickled, added to soups, and more. The most tender tops of the stem and the buds are delicious chopped up raw.

Garlic lovers can roast or grill entire scapes to serve as a side dish. To do so, lay the scapes (you may have to cut them up just to get them to lay flat on the cookie sheet) on an oiled cookie sheet and roast at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes, or toss the scapes in olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place on a med-hot grill, turn occasionally until they are slightly browned in areas. Enjoy!

Try these recipes: Roasted Fennel, Fresh Herb Salad Dressing, and Green Goddess Soup .

Storing Garlic Scapes
Garlic scapes keep well in a plastic bag in the fridge for two to three weeks. They will keep for a few days (and will look beautiful) in a glass with a little cool water in it, on the counter in a cool room. Change water daily.

Read our tip on How and When to Cut Your Garlic Scapes.

Photo by thebittenword.com

·
Registered
24,146 Posts
I have way more oregano in the garden than I can use, Dave. When you come in October, I'll provide you all you want.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have way more oregano in the garden than I can use, Dave. When you come in October, I'll provide you all you want.
Thanks very much for the generous and thoughtful offer! However, I have more oregano in my garden than I need. I gave away 2 large potted "clumps" this summer.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Never eaten garlic scapes but the idea of using them instead of garlic sounds quite feasible. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for any nearby roadside vendors selling them.
They are really dense and need to be chopped and cooked or run through a food processor. A lot of people who grow garlic get 2-3 yields of them a year and are often just discarded. They have to keep cutting them to let the bulb grow bigger.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts