The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Isn't it better though to get out of the "box" mindset and look at the fretboard as a whole set of giant scales?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, but I think using the pinky or not is optional. It's the notes that matter more than what fingers you use. Not everyone has the same strength in their fingers, so a player should always use the technique they are most comfortable with. Look at Gary Moore for example. :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't it better though to get out of the "box" mindset and look at the fretboard as a whole set of giant scales?
You want to be able to do both - once you see the whole scale all over the neck, you'll automatically stop thinking about boxes. For the newbie, it can be a help to visualize the scale by the boxes, but I don't think it's the only or even the "right" way to learn scales. In the end, all that matters is the music you make with the notes, and how you approach learning them is your own choice.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Thanks, but I think using the pinky or not is optional. It's the notes that matter more than what fingers you use. Not everyone has the same strength in their fingers, so a player should always use the technique they are most comfortable with. Look at Gary Moore for example. :)
Absolutely. I'm just saying present it as an option and let the student decide what works best - ideally, one would eventually be able to do it either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts