1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
No refunds. Those that bought tickets with credit cards may get one, but everyone else is SOL.

Something like $8.2M in revenue but $22M of debt. The festival scene not looking so good out here anymore. This will really hurt the credibility of the next ones that try. "Fool me once.....".

2017 Pemberton Music Festival cancelled, no automatic refunds for ticketholders
This year's lineup was pretty sad but this is sad for Sea to Sky Country. We lost the Squamish Festival now Pemberton. Both had a policy of supporting local bands. A lot of the blame is the low Canadian dollar but it's also about increasing development near the festival sites. Parking and camping areas were drying up as housing took over. Then there is the NIMBY aspect as houses got closer to the festival site.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Sorry to be blunt but here in Canada, the "goers" are too fickle and lazy. There's little support for music that not just perfect.

I had to move to Spain to get the ball Rolling. I was playing for $75-$$125 a night single man shows and over there my min was $200 and usually $250 for solo shows.

Also the attendance was way better.

Sad really. Culture is being forgotten quickly. If you stand for nothing, your I'll fall for anything.

I digress .

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this is a symptom of the real disease. The target market for that type of concert (not me, obviously) doesn't appreciate live music. Or they just don't want to pay for it, since they get so much for 'free' via the internet.

In the 80's, when I was the target market, there was live music everywhere. Cover bands, original acts, lots of genres - and we paid to see them. We paid to buy albums and then CD's. It was something we were passionate about and supported, both physically and financtially. Now it's 'background noise', IMO.

I'm glad I play for shits and giggles and not for financial gains. Because half the time it's seem like I am playing for my own benefit, to an ever-diminishing crowd. And it's the chicken and egg thing: why learn any Ed Sheran stuff if none of our audience wants to hear it v. why go see them if they don't play any Ed Sheran.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I don't think that they don't want to hear live music as they can't afford to attend a big festival. You are looking at a minimum of a $600 plus weekend to attend the Pemberton festival. The lineup was very weak compared to previous years. There is still a lot of live music happening at smaller venues. The days of big festivals seem to be on the wane but I'm not sure all live music is going to go away.

I'm hearing that they still owed a lot of money from previous years and ticket sales were not going to be able to cover previous years let alone this year. Their creditors pulled the plug.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
It doesn't surprise me. I have lots of friends in Vancouver Kelowna and Calgary. Only a couple RV's full from Calgary and two people from Kelowna were making the trip. All my friends in Van are too broke and busy working their asses off to pay their living expenses. Plus as mentioned, the lineup was pretty weak.

Sasquatch music festival is a much better experience and only a few hours further to drive. They also attract top headliners and the best quality B stagers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts