The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
Yeah, those things have been around for a little while now. I have my Arduino Uno,Raspberry Pi B, and BBC micro-bit waiting for me to get into programming microcontrollers., once I can stop building pedals and synth modules.

Microcontroller control and the integration of digital and analog has moved pedals in fascinating directions of late. Just poke through the catalog of what Chase Bliss, Walrus Audio, Earthquaker, and Sub-Decay (among others) are doing these days. Then you have stuff like what electricdruid and Molten Voltage are doing, which is developing and producing what are effectively drop-in MCU chips (PICs and ATMELs, for the most part) that handle a bunch of duties and provide tap-tempo. Small Bear carries most of these, in addition to the Spin-Semi FV-1 chip, which is used in a bunch of Keeley pedals and many others (the EHX Holy Stain used one). So, you don't have to rely onthe Arduino to do the signal processing itself. You can simply use it to tell other things what to do, in intelligent ways. For instance, the FV-1 chip and can be reprogrammed to produce different effects, while the electricdruid StompLFO has 4 A/D inputs controlling the tap-tempo LFO. No reason why an Arduino couldn't be put to work telling the FV-1 and LFO chip what to do, and storing as many presets as you like. The Arduino gets to do what it's good at, and subcontracts all the hard stuff to the other chips.

·
Registered
24,681 Posts
My pleasure. Thanks for the link and video!

I gotta start studying up all this PIC stuff, and dust off my Arduino and Pi.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I saw something like that for the Pi...

Now there’s another one...looks very similar to the pedalSHIELD called Electrsmash Pi Pedal.

The one I saw first is called PiSound, which I think would make a nice platform to create a pedal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts