The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Jeorge is alright. He used to be a semi-regular on the DIY stompbox forum, before he got too busy. Once in a while he drops me a line, and I do the same. We've never met, though. I'm hoping to drive down to Summer NAMM next year. Maybe we'll finally run into each other.

When he was at Line 6 (before jumping to Dunlop), he asked me to beta test a bunch of pedals (the Tonecore series), and when a FedEx mixup resulted in me having to miss his deadline, he very generously sent me a big box o' pedals as a consolation prize. Damn thing weighed near 25lbs. He also sent me a very hard-to-get chip that I hope to turn into an über-chorus some time within the next year.

I look forward to viewing the interview later this evening. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
It's not as hard to do these days as it was 20 years ago. If you ever want to give it a shot, I'd be happy to talk you through it.

When I see the awful paint jobs on those early Way Huge pedals, I have to shake my head. These days, one can sidestep that by simply buying a powder-coated chassis in the colour of your choice. And if a person is not intent on making something from scratch, places like BYOC provide what are essentially paint-by-number kits of some very good pedals.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
It's not as hard to do these days as it was 20 years ago. If you ever want to give it a shot, I'd be happy to talk you through it.

When I see the awful paint jobs on those early Way Huge pedals, I have to shake my head. These days, one can sidestep that by simply buying a powder-coated chassis in the colour of your choice. And if a person is not intent on making something from scratch, places like BYOC provide what are essentially paint-by-number kits of some very good pedals.
Sure, that would be appreciated.

I'm speaking from not being able to see components properly though.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
Yup, absolutely. Of course it takes more time, but then I suppose it takes less time to identify them that way than it takes to troubleshoot a pedal when one hasn't identified them!

When I order parts, they generally come in labelled bags, which can help. As long as you take your parts from a labelled bag, and you have all the parts you needin labelled bags, you don't need to measure anything. I just don't understand how anbody can make money selling a bag of ten resistors, with a custom label, for less then ten cents. Chips, diodes and transistors, and most caps, require a magnifying glass to read the tiny print, but don't have colour coding.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
It doesn't require many parts, which is in its favour. But one needs to be picky about the transistors. A wide range WILL work but may not yield classic tones.

There are other things which yield as satisfying a fuzz, and don't require noticeably more components, but have the advantage of working fine with garden variety transistors.

Your choice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts