The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw this today. The two videos at the top of the page are worth watching. Here's a chance to have a real tape echo on your pedal board without the headaches of an older machine. I've wanted to try building a tape echo from Value Village parts for a while. If this is half way affordable, it might scratch that itch for me.

What do you guys think of this? I think it's a pretty sweet mix of modern features with retro mechanics. It actually has tap tempo as well as two expression controlled parameters. If this is at the right price point these guys will be richer than astronauts.

http://www.t-rex-effects.com

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
Didn't danelectro have a reel-to-reel tape echo out in the late 90's as well? The extra features of this one are appealing to us soundscape types!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Watched the demo, very nice, it uses a real tape cartridge and has tap tempo available. I will be curious what the MSRP will be when it is released.

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
The most interesting feature, for me, is the ability to saturate the tape. Not to be underestimated.
To the extent that it can get short delays, I'm curious about how close it can get to flanging.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had thought they would want to come in significantly less expensive than the Fulltone tape delay. Because cost is what keeps most people away from that one. If they could come in around the price of the big box Strymon pedals I think a lot of people would get one.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
These do look uber awesome. I have built a tape delay using a 3 head cassette player and a mixer. It worked but not that wonderfully. I would love to have one of these T-Rex tape delays though.

I noticed in the video that the designer mentioned they found a machine to produce mono heads so it uses the full width of the 1/8" tape which is that same width of a stereo track on a 1/4". Cool details.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts