The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has switching to a pedal power box helped any of you guys with noise issues? Im not maxing out my one spot daisy chain but I still have to leave a couple pedals off the board or I get unbearable noise even when guitars off and tuner on.

Using in order;

Morley Vol/wah
Tu-2
Ds-1
Mxr 10 band eq

Loop:
mxr micro flange
Empress superdelay (on its own supply)
Boss rv-3

Currently I have to leave the two mxr's out, but would like to use them. The 10 band takes 9-18v. The superdelay takes 12-18.

All my cables are custom and in good shape, everything including amp comes off one power supply.

What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
The MXR 10 EQ is an 18V so, that maybe the problem.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
A great many contemporary power bricks will use a switching power supply. For good reason. It keeps the size, weight, and cost down. However, when used with anything that has a high-frequency clock of some sort - especially with two or more of them - there is the risk of heterodyning along the power lines. The individual spikes produced by those HF clocks may be well out of hearing range, but when multiple clocks run into each other on the power line, they interact like a ring modulator, producing sum and difference signals, some of which may be audible. Suddenly, individual pedals that were dead quiet when used on their own become a bees' nests of buzzing.

From your list, the TU-2, Microflange, and RV-3 all have their own HF clocks. The Microflange is analog, while the other two are digital, but flangers all require a HF clock to function. If you are only powering one of these with your supply, then the odds of noise arising should be low, unless the power supply clock and the pedal clock are interfering. As more andmore players migrate to digital pedals and encounter this particular problem, more PS manufacturers are incorporate features that protect against this interference, by either isolating the individual power outputs, or at least filtering them. Similarly, pedal makers are more likely to assume shared supply, and design pedals to reject spikes on the power line.

If, however, whatever noise you are experiencing still occurs when using ONLY fully analog unclocked pedals (wah, DS-1, EQ), then clearly the noise source lies elsewhere, and all the above does not apply.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess pedal power will be my next purchase. Are the cheap ones found on ebay any good or is it worth spending closer to 150 to 200? Need two banks of 18v and around 6 9v would be best. Can you also daisy chain off the 9v banks if I buy one with less isolated outputs?

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
You can always daisy-chain analog pedals. The isolation aspect starts to become important when one includes digital pedals (and/or clocked analog pedals, like chorus, flanger, delay, and some vibratos).

Current capability needs will depend on what you're using or plan on acquiring. Again, digital pedals often require about 10x more current than analog in many instances.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone try this one out? Its less than a third of the price of the big names, and claims to have isolated power.

I don't need anything road worthy (just shot myself in the food Im sure..)

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Anyone try this one out? Its less than a third of the price of the big names, and claims to have isolated power.
Which one bud?
I’m all down on the Truetone CS-7 & 12. Can double 2x9 v outs to get the 2nd 18v you need, & cheaper than the Voodoo boys.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I guess pedal power will be my next purchase. Are the cheap ones found on ebay any good or is it worth spending closer to 150 to 200? Need two banks of 18v and around 6 9v would be best. Can you also daisy chain off the 9v banks if I buy one with less isolated outputs?

Buy once, cry once. I've been using a Voodoo Labs PP2+ forever. I've had two different PP2+'s and a PP Digital. All worked flawlessly and reliably AND delivered amperage beyond their listed specs. I squeezed them for every little mA they had in them and they never broke down or caused noise.

I'm currently running a single PP2+ and it powers all of the following (including 4 very hungry digital pedals):
Line 6 Helix (via courtesy outlet)
EHX B9
EHX Synth9
Neo Mini Vent
Line 6 G30 Wireless receiver
TC Polytune Mini
T1m buffered A/B Switch

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, using the TU-2, does the 9v out isolate the signal at all? Could I use it to isolate the noisiest of the pedals? I just haven't tried as I don't have a second male to male 9v connector separate from my daisy chain. If that makes sense...

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Has switching to a pedal power box helped any of you guys with noise issues?
You can always daisy-chain analog pedals. The isolation aspect starts to become important when one includes digital pedals (and/or clocked analog pedals, like chorus, flanger, delay, and some vibratos).
My board used to have a OneSpot powering 4 drives and a tuner, and then a couple digital pedals using their own AC adaptors, all of which were plugged into a shared power bar. I found that if I stacked the drives everything would become excessively noisy. I have changed to a Strymon power supply and things are much quieter.

One pedal is a Klon clone, so it is buffered and uses a charge pump to boost things up to 18V internally, so maybe that had something to do with it? But I had separated analog & digital and yet it was much noisier with daisy chaining.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Years ago I tried all manner of cheaper switching power supply trying to find one that would handle my 5-8 pedals and not give me any noise. Eventually I came to the conclusion, after being told again and again by people on message boards to just buy a Voodoo lab PP2+ so finally I did. Today I run ten pedals on an 8 output PP2+ (3 analog drive pedals daisy chained on one output) and I never get any noise anywhere. It's literally one of the least glamorous pieces of equipment you can buy but it is so so so worth the money and you'll never regret it.

·
Registered
24,706 Posts
RE: Klon clone

Quite possibly. Charge pumps use a high frequency clock. Some charge pump chips allow one to double or triple the clock frequency, such that it moves well above hearing range. But not all do. Whether within or beyond hearing range, the noise gets generated when the sum and or difference between any two clocks falls within hearing range.

And yes, as more and more players experience such noise sources, power-brick makers take more steps to isolate the multiple outputs in order to prevent the interaction of clocks on the power lines. I would imagine pedal-makers also take similar steps to keep any HF spikes completely internal to the pedal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts