The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a week into a new guitar and amp and my daily playing time has skyrocketed. Needless to say I'm having a blast and with my growing interest I've been paying attention to how else I can improve the experience more. Much of that is due to some great advice from you guys so why not keep it rolling?
The Boss Katana and Boss Tone Studio are amazing but of the 58 sounds available I spend all my time in the metal effects and wonder if adding a pedal is the next logical choice?
I've been over a few youtube reviews to see what out there and it seems like a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 is up my alley but before pulling the trigger on one I want your guys opinion so I don't miss the boat on something better.
I'm playing mostly Metallica and Slayer tunes so the goal is to augment my sound to see where I can take it.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Use the Boss Tone Studio to create your own sounds. IIRC, there is a Boss Metal Zone effect already in there. I have a GT-1, and it has the Metal Zone as an available drive pedal.

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
There should be enough in there that a pedal isnt required.

The metal zone is usually used as a boost/eq on an already saturated signal, not so much a base tone.

Play around with gain levels and eq in the high gain amp section. 5150/recto is a good place to start.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use the Boss Tone Studio to create your own sounds. IIRC, there is a Boss Metal Zone effect already in there. I have a GT-1, and it has the Metal Zone as an available drive pedal.
ok so I'm reading this as using boss tone studio preforms the exact same purpose as a pedal would? so is a pedal's only function to make it easier than hauling a laptop around to produce effects? I'm new to everything not acoustic guitar so please bare with me here :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There should be enough in there that a pedal isnt required.

The metal zone is usually used as a boost/eq on an already saturated signal, not so much a base tone.

Play around with gain levels and eq in the high gain amp section. 5150/recto is a good place to start.
don't get me wrong, boss studio is great. the one issue I have with it is that the user seems to only be able to save 2 patches of effects into the interface and the majority of the sounds are designed to replicate popular songs. example: I can download a patch with "enter sandman" on it but it doesn't help me much considering I'm learning the lead parts of "Orion" at the moment.
I do need to spend more time customizing the presets on the amp itself to see what I can produce but I am inexperienced and have a poor understanding of what does what at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
don't get me wrong, boss studio is great. the one issue I have with it is that the user seems to only be able to save 2 patches of effects into the interface and the majority of the sounds are designed to replicate popular songs. example: I can download a patch with "enter sandman" on it but it doesn't help me much considering I'm learning the lead parts of "Orion" at the moment.
I do need to spend more time customizing the presets on the amp itself to see what I can produce but I am inexperienced and have a poor understanding of what does what at this point.
I take it you're using the Katana 50? The 100 has more available preset slots and can use the GA-FC as well.
That's another reason I got the GT-1; 100 stock presets, 100 user defined. You can use the footswitches to page through them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take it you're using the Katana 50? The 100 has more available preset slots and can use the GA-FC as well.
That's another reason I got the GT-1; 100 stock presets, 100 user defined. You can use the footswitches to page through them.
yes its the 50w which in every other field is the right amp for me.
what it sounds like is the GT-1 could expand (and surpass) on the of library effects I'm limited to by not having the 100w. I'll have to do my research. thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
yes its the 50w which in every other field is the right amp for me.
what it sounds like is the GT-1 could expand (and surpass) on the of library effects I'm limited to by not having the 100w. I'll have to do my research. thank you!
The GT-1 has the same tone engine. I use it in conjunction with several different amps; the output can be configured to include speaker modeling or not. I run it into the effects return on a Peavey Bandit 112.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd suggest doing the sneaky amps thing and using the Uberschall (that was my favourite) or Recto and sticking an OD (there has to be a TS9/OD808 type of thing in the available fx) in front. Gain turned down, level turned up. Tried and true.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No better way to learn than to just work at it. Check youtube for a tutorial or two.
will do!
I'm not giving up on this little amps range of sounds just yet and the little experience I do have with effect pedals with built in sounds has been you get a lot of "wtf "sounds and a few usable ones. I just want to explore all my options.

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
Investing your time to learn how to dial in this amp will pay off with future amps down the road. Investing in a pedal and delaying (heh) learning all the ins and outs of your new amp won't be nearly as helpful.

You also have to manage expectations. The Katana isn't meant to be some godly tone box, it's meant to be an enjoyable amp to have at home or studio where you can dial in sounds far better than most 15W 1x8" practice amps that have been available. Expecting it to sound like a very expensive studio album or high end amp may be a bit of a stretch. That being said, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to dial in something that makes you enjoy every time you plug in. I have a marshall MG15 - not much of an amp, but I do have fun using it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts