The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally I run my amp clean and 2 od pedals. One edge of breakup and one for medium gain. Right now I'm using a lovepedal blackface deluxe and its been ok but I'd like to try something different, so looking for some recommendations for and edge of breakup transparent pedal. Don't want to spend anymore than $150.
There is a Timmy pretty close to me for that price. Is that a good price and would it do what I'm after?

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Man, wow.
Ummm, Wampler Tumnus or Euphoria.
EHX SoulFood for that price range.
You’re bordering on “Klon” territory here pard’ner!

Opinions will be of the many..........

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Timmy, like you mentioned is a good option, a Klone like bzrkrage mentioned would be a good one as well. I've used both in the same edge of break up first position for years with a multitude of others after it, the Boss OD-3 is doing the trick right now really well for medium gain.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, wow.
Ummm, Wampler Tumnus or Euphoria.
EHX SoulFood for that price range.
You’re bordering on “Klon” territory here pard’ner!

Opinions will be of the many..........

I'm using the Wampler Tumnus deluxe for medium gain. I've tried if for edge of breakup and didn't care for it as much as for medium gain.
How about a Voodoo Labs Sparkly Drive? I see one available right in my hometown for $75.

·
Premium Member
8,577 Posts
Timmy not sure if a great deal but will do what you want. Soul Food EHX as mentioned. Fairfield Barbershop $215 new, should be in your range used.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I'm using the Wampler Tumnus deluxe for medium gain. I've tried if for edge of breakup and didn't care for it as much as for medium gain.
How about a Voodoo Labs Sparkly Drive? I see one available right in my hometown for $75.
I love the Sparkle Drive, and anyone who likes tubescreamers will. Its an 808 plus a clean boost with a blend.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm reading that supposedly the Timmy is not good for blackface fenders due to the mid scooped character. And since I added the Warehouse G12 c\s it really has a mid scooped tone. Maybe thats why I'm not liking my lovepedeal BFD lately as I imagine its emulating that mid scoop. Maybe need to get more of a TS type pedal such as the sparkle drive.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kingsley Page.
Yeah I recently made an offer on one but the owner decided to keep it. Which I'm kind of glad anyway as that much money would have taken a big chunk out of my guitar budget that I've squirrled away for when I find what I want.

·
Premium Member
16,829 Posts
The Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver doesn't get a lot of love on forums but it is the only pedal that has not left my board since I got it. I turn the gain way down, 10:00 on the dial at most and use the level to get the desired boost.
It gets some love :p they are solid pedals.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver doesn't get a lot of love on forums but it is the only pedal that has not left my board since I got it. I turn the gain way down, 10:00 on the dial at most and use the level to get the desired boost.
One of the pedals I'm considering is the BD2 Waza.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I just went down this road and settled with two pedals.

1. Lovepedal Brownface Deluxe - I've never tried the Blackface one that you own, but have been told that the Brownface is less compressed and has way less gain. I believe it, because for my setup, I have the gain up at about 3 0'clock.

2. Union Tube & Transistor Tone Druid - I know you wanted to keep you budget at about $150, but this pedal is worth the pricetag on the used market (roughly $200-$250). This is probably one of the best, if not the best low gain OD I've ever come across (imo).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts