The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CGF!

I am looking to have some quality demos made for my creations. There appear to be a great number of options for pedal demos so I thought I would ask you all who does your favorite demos and why you like those particular offerings.

For example, do you like demos that have backing tracks? Do you want to hear the pedal alone or with other pedals or instruments? Do you like a little production or just straight up pedal to recording device?

What say you CGF?

Thanks!

ARCANE ANALOG

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
ProGuitar Shop’s (Reverb’s) Andy.

Reactions: jdto and zurn

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
Andy at pro guitar, and the guys from That Pedal Show.

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
I also like Andy at Reverb.

I like rebea from the andertons channel as well

Me and Brett Kingman have had words where I've had to be the bigger person and walk away from his stupidity. And is playing is kind of garbage, comparatively.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,192 Posts
Pete Thorn does a fine demo, our own @Shredneck does some great work to

·
Registered
24,680 Posts
A good pedal demo shows the range of each control, and for me, also shows "bad" settings (assuming any exist). That is, it will work great as long as one uses such and such a combination of settings, but you probably want to avoid this combination, unless you're looking for something weird or idiosyncratic.

I find few demo videos really give any sense of the range of whatever tone controls it might have.

Since you tend to make distorting pedals, one of the traditional concerns of players is how a pedal "takes" a wah/phaser ahead or after it. So that's something worth demo-ing.

Finally, showing the knob settings for different sounds being demonstrated is important. And if it is a higher-gain pedal, it's worth showing the tradeoff or interaction between gain and volume settings, in comparison to bypass level. In other words, for example, at this minimum gain setting, you can expect that output level, relative to bypass. If there is plenty of reserve (additional level possible) at minimum gain, you'll want to show that.

One of the great things about Andy Martin's demos for PGS/Reverb is his knack for identifying what sort of musical genre the likely user would lean towards, and demoing the pedal with relevant familiar tunes. He can clearly wank with the best of them,but he doesn't just wank; he illustrates.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Both Andy and Pete are great examples. They both offer a mix of content - there are real examples of how you might use the effect, plus some knob twisting to show the range of sounds available. Great stuff.

I like the Prymaxe demos too although they sometimes come across as a bit "overproduced", i think. It's a bit hard to tell how much is coming from the effect and how much is coming from mixdown and post production.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great post, Mark. That is kind of what I was hoping to get from a pedal demo. When I get questions from a potential player I try to get a sense on what they want from the pedal. I have "lost" plenty of sales by being honest. I would rather have it that way then send someone a pedal they will not like. I have actually had to convince a few people to get something else as their expectation or hopes were not going to happen with the pedal they wanted to commission.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. Keep the suggestions coming.

There seems to be a certain demo provider favoured by different boards. For instance, TGP really likes Mike Herman's demos.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I like that pedal show because they always have a variety of amps, the one guy always has a strat and the other always an LP. And they show how some pedals sound better with this amp than that amp etc...

I like Andy at pro guitar because he's a damn good player and he plays songs we all know and love. And he plays with the settings and uses more than one guitar I sometimes find that when people just noodle its hard to get a feel for a pedal

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
I only watch andy's videos, I find them to be more informative than most. That said I rarely watch demo videos of pedals. I have watched maybe 3-5 total in the last year or two.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
24,680 Posts
Great post, Mark. That is kind of what I was hoping to get from a pedal demo. When I get questions from a potential player I try to get a sense on what they want from the pedal. I have "lost" plenty of sales by being honest. I would rather have it that way then send someone a pedal they will not like. I have actually had to convince a few people to get something else as their expectation or hopes were not going to happen with the pedal they wanted to commission.
Thanks. In this day and age, I think honesty works to one's advantage MUCH better than empty promises and bloated ad copy that turn into raging flame-outs on forums. If it was 1982, I would see a pedal in a display case, work up the nerve to ask the guy in the mullet behind the counter if I could try it, and either be impressed or disappointed. I would not have Harmony Central or TGP or indeed any ability to vet the views of others about the product. Hell, if it was 1982, there's a damn good chance I wouldn't even be able to read a magazine review of the pedal.

Long story short, I think it's always better to "burn ahead of the fire", so that it doesn't spread.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I find it funny that so many people like Andy's videos. For some pedals like mod, delay, or reverb he is okay. But for anything involving dirt (which for a lot of us is the core of our "sound") I find he makes everything sound kind of the same. He has "his sound" and he doesn't seem to stray too far from that unless it's a pretty wild departure. So I find that most overdrive pedals he demos end up with a similar character. And he also plays with his fingers instead of a pick, which is fine for him, but doesn't really represent how the majority of people play.

I love Pete Thorn's videos. He shows what a pedal sounds like in a mix, isolates the guitar parts, and then usually has a part where a looper is playing and he moves the knobs around.

·
Registered
24,680 Posts
But for anything involving dirt (which for a lot of us is the core of our "sound") I find he makes everything sound kind of the same.
That may be because after the many hundreds of dirt pedals he's demoed while doing this, they all DO eventually sound the same.

·
Premium Member
17,169 Posts
He has "his sound" and he doesn't seem to stray too far from that unless it's a pretty wild departure.
Everyone has "their sound" some have just gotten better at identifying it. I learned I sound like me when I went from an open back 212 combo to a high gain full stack... and just sounded like a better version of the 212. The core sound didn't change.

People make the same complaint about Ola Englund's demos too - and he nailed his sound ages ago.

Like I said somewhere, the sooner people realize that they will always sound like them, the sooner they will get the gear that compliments their sound.

What I really want to know is, was the all caps thread title necessary :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find this a little funny . I like a lot of the demo guys. All add their own unique style. Being a low budget builder for other companies as well as my own, I do my own demos. I suck, but I like me and my sound. So I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I like that Pedal Show, very informative.

Andy at PGS seems to fit the right song for the pedal.
Mike Hermans is also good, I like his tweaking later on in the vids.
Thumbs up for JustNick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts