The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I have been wondering something for awhile now and I think you can help me.

Whats the difference between the Peavey Bandit, Express, Studio and Special? I mean...They all look the same. I'm sure there are minor differences, but is there anything that is hugely different between them? I"m talking about the older ones...the Sheffield series.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
Bandit is 100watts, Studio Pro is 65watts, Express is 65watts, Special is 160watts. All of them part of the Transtube series. All are solid state amps if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh groovy. Thanks everyone. I noticed on my buddies bandit...mind you his isnt the sheffield series version - his has the two silver stripes on the front of it, that his has a ground switch? (Oh, it's not one of the new bandits with the stripes, it's one of the old ones...I believe from the solo series) Whats up with that? I own the express, which is plenty loud, plus I'm running it into a 4x12 cab. Mine doesnt have a ground though. What the hell is a ground switch anyways? Like a standby or something?

Oh yeah...Yes there are all solid state. I don't know what it is, but I love SS. I can't explain it. You guys can keep you're tubes. I want a Sunn Beta Lead. SS at it's finest. haha.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Oh yeah...Yes there are all solid state. I don't know what it is, but I love SS. I can't explain it. You guys can keep you're tubes. I want a Sunn Beta Lead. SS at it's finest. haha.
You must be either a jazz cat or a shredder. These are the only two genres I've found that prefer a solid state amp. The jazz cats like it super clean and the shredders use so much processing/pedals that no one can tell what amp they use anyway! :smile:

I'm reminded of a night about 4 years ago when a new club opened up down the street from my home. It was trying to cater mainly to boomers. After supper hour the kitchen was closed, the tables stacked up to provide a huge dance floor and a big bar was opened. They had a real stage (not just a corner with one outlet for the entire band, like so many clubs these days!) and what seemed to be a decent house PA.

The band was made up of guys who worked at the local classic rock station, and of course that meant their set list was made up of old AC/DC, AeroSmith and whatever. One of their compadres was running the house PA.

I had high hopes that this might be a fun club for an old guy like me! I love to hear the "geezer rock" I grew up with, even if every classic rock band seems to use the exact same set list! Classic rock today seems to be Classic AM Rock and not much of what my generation actually listened to and grooved on.

The band started up and by the middle of the first song something was bothering me, big time! Usually you forgive the first song or two while the soundman gets things fine tuned but this was something more, like a speaker cab that has a rattle only on certain notes.

It took me a while but finally I zeroed in on the problem. It was the guitarist's amp!

He was running a Peavey SS Bandit, with a mess of pedals, into the usual 4-12. He was a great player but to me his tone just sucked! It was like his amp had no head room and the cab had a thick quilt over it. He would kick in a boost pedal for a lead and although the tone changed there was no boost! Everything was so compressed it was all the same level.

Meanwhile, you could sure tell the guy on the PA worked at a radio station. He didn't have a "live off the floor mix" at all. It sounded more like a "car radio mix".

Now there were a lot of younger folks on the dance floor and they seemed to be loving it but I noticed older folks more my age were starting to leave. It seemed obvious to me what was happening.

Those of us who were used to a guitarist using a 50 watt Plexi or some similar amp from the classic rock era were put off by the lame ass tone of the Peavey Bandit! And the "modern" mix. I swear if Angus had been there to hear what they did to "Highway to Hell" he would have kicked their asses all over the stage.:eek:

I lasted maybe an hour and I bailed.

Now I'm not saying that SS amps aren't ok in the right genre. As I said, they do what people expect for jazz and for shred. It's just that I've never found one yet that can give that classic rock sound, like we heard with so many bands like Mountain and Randy Rhoades/Sabbath, as well as all the mainstream rock guys.

If you're too young to have heard that sound then you've got nothing to compare. You think bacon bits taste like real bacon! Or you think a McRonalds milk shake tastes like a real old-fashioned one, when it contains no milk at all but rather is an edible oil product.

So once again, it's all taste. Whatever blows your skirt up!

Just don't try to tell me that there's a solid state amp that can replicate the sound of classic rock! I'd love to pull a panel of ten old geezers like me off the street, sit them down and listen to an amp shootout playing the classic standards!

AFTER I've gotten you to put up a few cases of beer as a bet! It would be an easy setup!

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hahah, No, I don't compare tube amps to SS amps. They aren't even close. I know what a real milkshake tastes like, and I know what bacon tastes like ;)

The music I play is Noise-Rock. In a couple of weeks I'll be running my gear through a Sunn Beta Lead and keeping the Express as a backup. I'll still (of course) be running everything thorugh my 4x12. I have currently in my chain 11 pedals. Running all that gear through a tube amp (which I have done) just doesnt sound right - to me atleast. I've trained my ear to hear certain tones and stuff that are suited to my musical preference. It's kind of hard to explain.

Anyways, as your for your "just jazz or shredding" - well I don't really do either anymore. I mean I can do both, I was in a metalcore/deathgrind (don't ask me to explain what deathgrind is) band for a long time, but SS amps always suited me, and now the music I am currently doing (for about the last 5 or 6 years) is perfectly fitted with SS everything. It just sounds so "right" haha.

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
Just don't try to tell me that there's a solid state amp that can replicate the sound of classic rock! I'd love to pull a panel of ten old geezers like me off the street, sit them down and listen to an amp shootout playing the classic standards!:food-smiley-004:
I haven't heard this amp, but it's creating a lot of buzz. I don't know if some are using it get classic rock sounds, but many are impressed in using it to create their own sound.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts