The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everyone!. Got my new Peavey Valveking here and it is one great amp for the price. Thought it was quiet small from the pictures I seen on here but it is a decent size amp which I like very much. The cleans are just amazing in it and when you push the "bright" switch, it sounds just like a nice fendery type sound. On the Overdrive Channel I can bassicly get any type of hard rock sound I want. Can get some metal but it's not the hardest metal I've heard but still great sounding!

Thought I would share some pictures of it with whoever wants to see em of my Valveking and my other gear since I never really shared em with this forum

Enjoy!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice pics. Our Drummer plays guitar a bit and picked up one of these himself about a year ago. He enjoys it very much and has nothing but praise for it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Very nice. I like it when someone chooses a good, simple (although 2 channels with bias control is pretty full-featured) tube combo over digital behemoth. You'll be very happy with your amp, I predict.

Andy

·
Registered
150 Posts
when I went amp testing with my second guitarist the final two amps were between the PV 6505+ and the ValveKing. He went with the 6505+ but I think the ValveKing would've been a better choice.

But nice setup! Very Clean!

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
I would also take a 6505+ over a valveking: better at high gain stuff, made in the USA, metal staple (5150 II)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ya but I have the 5150 already. I wish he would've gone a B-52 route or a XXX. But in all fairness when we tried the XXX we couldn't get the sound he was looking for. Came closer with the JSX. I honestly don't think we spent enough time with the XXX though, not used to active controls I guess.

Well I added a Legacy to the mix and am in the process of trying a bunch of different tubes for V1. Especially the EH 12AX7 which was recommended by Wild Bill.

Along with Shuguang 12AX7 9th gen, Penta 12AX7 and a Sovtek 12AX7 WC. I think I asked for the Shuguang to have balanced triods since I'm still under the impression that it's required for the phase inverter slot.

Overall, just seeing what I like in V1

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
guiary - the JSX has active controls on the crunch and ultra channels too :p.

a 5150 and a dual recto would sound pretty good together i think. one amp with good high-mids and crunch, the other covering the low-mids and crunch. it'd be ballys :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Except I found it easier to get a good sound out of the JSX, pretty much right away. Only reason the 6505+ was easy to set is cause I'm pretty used to it.

As far as the recto goes thats why I'm trying to convince him to pick up the B-52 AT-100 (think that was the model) which has a tri rectifier. Similar sounding to the mesa's but costing $600 new.

As far as the ValveKing goes nice sounding amp, would have loved to spend more time with it.

·
Premium Member
16,974 Posts
the extra $ for a used mesa dual rec gives you the knowledge that you're not getting imitation recto, you're getting recto (if you want that tone, that's what you should buy IMO). also you dont have to worry as much about reliability, i've heard some things abou B-52's. "you get what you pay for" comes to mind here.

enough with the thread jacking, so long as people are happy with their amps we're doin good lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts