The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a Peavey XXX but never played with it yet, and wanted to check if anyone had any good or bad experience with them?.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was offered a Peavey XXX but never played with it yet, and wanted to check if anyone had any good or bad experience with them?.
I never knew the 40 watters were available in a 2x12. I had a Super40EFX model for a while...it's was a fun li'l amp to muck around with...sounded pretty full at low volumes...it was "ok" at practise but I never used it at a gig. Maybe on a BIG stage away from the rest of the band and aimed up at you where you could hear it and miked up through the PA it would be alright.

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i also got offered a PEavey Delta BLue, the 2x10 amps...need to find info on those as well if anyone as played that model.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
40 watt 2x12? Never heard of it... I always thought there was only a 40 watt 1x12, 60 watt 1x12 and the head?

Anywho I know a guy who used to have the head... all I can say is make sure you have 6L6's in there otherwise the distortion sounds real fizzy (unless you like fizzy distortion?). Real chunky, great stuff.

In all honesty though, for high gain tones I'd take a solid state Randall over it anyday of the week. There's a G3 head I think it's like 150 watts... $500 and somethin', good stuff. Add a 10 band EQ and it's rippin' in no time.

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
The delta blues is a much more vintage sounding amp.

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
depends on what kind of tones you want. if you like modern rock and metal, triple X is a good bet. the ultra channel may sound a bit thin compared to the crunch, but they both cut through well.

my ultra channel on the jsx is based off the triple X's crunch channel; it has a tooonne of gain lol. i normally dont go past 4 with it.

try 'em out and see which one you like more!

·
Banned
5,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the input guys. reason i want your input is something i see amps for sale at another city, so before doing 2hrs in my car, i wanna make sure it's worth the Trip.

Thing is, getting a metal sound with a good pedal is easy, if the amp does'nt have a good clean sound naturally, no pedal or effect can realy fix that.

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
that's true. and thing is about most metal tones is... its a high gain amp, with a good cab, and sometimes a tubescreamer out front :p.

the jsx doesnt have Great cleans, but the clean channel is definitely useable - i would expect the triple X to be similar. it aint no fender/traynor, but its not bad :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Need some great cleans thru a JSX ??
Try a guitar with single coil pups....use your volume and tone knobs on your guitar....also if you have more than one pup on your guitar....use 'em...don't rely solely on a bridge pup... :)
Try a li'l touch of reverb/delay in the loop...

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
Need some great cleans thru a JSX ??
Try a guitar with single coil pups....use your volume and tone knobs on your guitar....also if you have more than one pup on your guitar....use 'em...don't rely solely on a bridge pup... :)
Try a li'l touch of reverb/delay in the loop...
actually, my les paul and my PRS copy get quite useable cleans, they make me want to play ska-punk type stuff :p. i dont own a reverb pedal yet, lookin to ge an EHX holy grail at some point in the future, as well as a DD3.

oh and i almost NEVER use a bridge pickup on a clean channel, ever. blend, neck, but rarely just bridge.

the jsx clean is meant to take pedals, so im hoping that reverb will warm up the clean channel just a tad - as well as a JJ retube with KT77's :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts