The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ABed a Delta Blues and a Classic 30 at the music store and found that the DB had richer tone: more detail and subtle harmonics. Strange since they are the same circuitry aside from the tremolo. Anyone else had this experience?

P

·
0 Posts
I ABed a Delta Blues and a Classic 30 at the music store and found that the DB had richer tone: more detail and subtle harmonics. Strange since they are the same circuitry aside from the tremolo. Anyone else had this experience?
My old Delta Blues had a 15" speaker.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's the 2x10" with a 15" extension cab. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
The biggest change you can get by tweaking a given amp is by changing the speakers. That is the difference between these 2 Peavey models. (and the tremolo)
Fender also has many examples of the same thing, using a single amp circuit with different speaker arrangements to get a different sound, and calling it a different model name.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It also depends which vintage of Delta Blues you played. The first generation had the Blue Marvel 15" speaker (I owned one), then it was a "Stephens" brand that most agree was inferior, and the newest ones have a Celestion Fullback, which is not an el-cheapo speaker for such an inexpensive amp. 3 different sounds entirely. To make it even more difficult, Eminence makes a number of juicy 15" speakers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both the Classic 30 and the DB had the Blue Marvels, the only difference was the DB was 2x10 and the 30 was 1x12.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
the only difference was the DB was 2x10 and the 30 was 1x12.
This is a huge difference. Ever heard a Fender Deluxe reverb fitted with 2x10? It still sounds like a Deluxe Reverb, but with major differences, like you found between the Peaveys.
Also why some people swear by 15's for guitar, it's also a big difference, even compared to a 12.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
This is a huge difference. Ever heard a Fender Deluxe reverb fitted with 2x10? It still sounds like a Deluxe Reverb, but with major differences, like you found between the Peaveys.
Also why some people swear by 15's for guitar, it's also a big difference, even compared to a 12.
Shh. 15s are a best kept secret for guitar. The steel guitar players swear by them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts