The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Classic 50 is a little bit too big for Ottawa and I'm thinking a Classic 30 might be more appropriate. What would you guys say it's the difference other than power? Could it be a straight trade?
Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
Too big how? If turning down works, just turn down. Both are 112 combos right?

·
Registered
11,040 Posts
Price wise, I see 50's listed for as low as 400 but usually for 500-600. I paid 400 for mine and it was mint. 30's for right around 400 but I let a deal for one fall apart last summer for 200.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much guys. I don't mind trading mine hair by hair for a C50, I think I will be rewarded by having a 12in speaker.

If someone is interested here in Ottawa...

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I have owned both. A 2 x 12 C50, and a 1 x 12 C30 (both older models). The C50 had a solid state front end (pre amp) and a tube power section. The C 30 was all tube. I liked the 30 much better as far as sound goes. I am mostly a bedroom player, so once above 4 or so on the volume it was friggin' loud!!!! (like, you are not wanting to stay in the same room loud). In a bigger room, or outside on the porch it was nicer. The best sound I got from it was plugging in a 1 x 15 extension cab. C 30's tend to run hot I found, but it didn't seem to hurt anything.

The C50 I used to put the speakers in series, it helped, but I lent it out to a guy playing it on stage and it broke up too early because I forgot to put them back in parallel for him.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Classic 50 is all tube, you might be talking about very old Peavey Classic which believe had some solid state in the signal path. It preceded and looked a lot like a Classic 50.

For what it's worth, I have an old Classic 50 2x12, a modern Classic 30 1x12, and the Classic 20MH -- they are all awesome, but for tone, I like the beat up Classic 50 2x12 the most and will probably like it even more when I replace the old scratchy pots.

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
Where are you guys seeing classic 30's for $400?!?

The classic 50 is EL34 or 6L6 I believe, the 30 is EL84. It's going to sound a bit different.

I was not aware that the 50 was so big, I know they built a 410 but thought the other was a 112. I would probably switch to the classic 30 as well, or the delta blues (115).

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Where are you guys seeing classic 30's for $400?!?

The classic 50 is EL34 or 6L6 I believe, the 30 is EL84. It's going to sound a bit different.

I was not aware that the 50 was so big, I know they built a 410 but thought the other was a 112. I would probably switch to the classic 30 as well, or the delta blues (115).
I thought they were both 4x EL84 but with the 30 being cathode biased, and the 50 being fixed bias. Same setup as the Crate Vintage Club 50 and 30

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Classic 50 is all tube, you might be talking about very old Peavey Classic which believe had some solid state in the signal path. It preceded and looked a lot like a Classic 50.
Correct. It was labelled a Classic and was 50 watts, but it was an old one and had only 2 power tubes. 6L6's I think, but I could be wrong on that. The old original one in black with the aluminium down each side of the speaker. Kinda like:

The C30 uses EL 84's I think. I didn't find the 20 less watts that significant.

·
Premium Member
16,663 Posts
I thought they were both 4x EL84 but with the 30 being cathode biased, and the 50 being fixed bias. Same setup as the Crate Vintage Club 50 and 30
I haven't done the requisite google search to check :p

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I had a Classic 50 4x10. Awesome cleans. Some people like the gain channel but I found it way too bright. It needs to be loud, really loud, to sound it's best. It was too much amp for small bars unless I used an attenuator. I ended up trading it and haven't really missed it. Good amp but not my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
3,286 Posts
I had a Classic 50 4x10. Awesome cleans. Some people like the gain channel but I found it way too bright. It needs to be loud, really loud, to sound it's best. It was too much amp for small bars unless I used an attenuator. I ended up trading it and haven't really missed it. Good amp but not my cup of tea.
Here's a picture of Kerry Brown in the early 70's playing his Gretsch Chet Atkins, coily-cable & Big Muff into the Peavey Classic 50 410..........

Or it's Pete Townsend, they could be the same person, you ever see Kerry & Pete in the same room at the same time?!?

Best mediocre guitarist in Calgary.

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
Most tube amps are too much for small bars though.
Most, but not all.

I played a small pub on Friday with my LSS. I had to tame it down (kinda funny for a 30 watt amp) for the first set as the bar wasn't very full. So I switched the clean channel to 15 watts. By the end of the 2nd set, I was back to 30 watts for the clean channel. The cranky channel stayed at 5 watts all night, right to the bitter (Black Sabbath / ACDC) end.

My 2 X 6L6 amp hasn't been in a bar in years. It only seems to see outdoor stages. I don't mind, it's kinda heavy compared to the LSS.

Reactions: davetcan

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Most, but not all.

I played a small pub on Friday with my LSS. I had to tame it down (kinda funny for a 30 watt amp) for the first set as the bar wasn't very full. So I switched the clean channel to 15 watts. By the end of the 2nd set, I was back to 30 watts for the clean channel. The cranky channel stayed at 5 watts all night, right to the bitter (Black Sabbath / ACDC) end.

My 2 X 6L6 amp hasn't been in a bar in years. It only seems to see outdoor stages. I don't mind, it's kinda heavy compared to the LSS.
I play just about everywhere with my 45 watter. Just means I need pedals for dirt

1 - 20 of 30 Posts