Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Peavey XXX

Votes: 10 17.2%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say on a budget of $2000, I need a metal amp loud enough for gigging. Which would be better?
And I am talking about head and cab.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I tried both. I found XXX more more nu-metal-ish stuff.....not bad.

But I bought the 5150 (now 6505). If you buy, you MUST get a bias mod. It sounds very cold out of the box, but an amp tech can crank it up and now mone is a raging beast from hell.......

I have a Bogner Uberkab and that is loaded with V30s and 75s in a X pattern......just killer!

BTW - the 5150 is far louder that the XXX.

:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
93 Posts
the 6505 is very nice, as is the cab. FJA mods specializes in 5150/6505 mods, and from what I understand, they're quite good and pretty cheap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would say that the XXX is more versatile, but the 5150/6505 beats it out for metal. Definitely recommend the bias mod as well.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, and does the peavey 6505 head and cab have the same sound as the normal 6505?

is it just wattage difference?

also

would any guitar store be able to give the bias mod? like LA music/long n mquade/ guitar shop?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stratocaster said:
would any guitar store be able to give the bias mod? like LA music/long n mquade/ guitar shop?
Depends on the tech. You'd have to phone and ask.

On the other hand, FJA mods only charges $70 US for the mod, and offers a bunch of other mods as well. I'd look into buying a used 5150 off of ebay from the states, sending it to Jerry, and having him ship it to you. Probably end up cheaper than buying one new in Canada and having a local tech do the work.

http://www.fjamods.com/5150.html

·
Registered
23 Posts
bucky said:
Depends on the tech. You'd have to phone and ask.

On the other hand, FJA mods only charges $70 US for the mod, and offers a bunch of other mods as well. I'd look into buying a used 5150 off of ebay from the states, sending it to Jerry, and having him ship it to you. Probably end up cheaper than buying one new in Canada and having a local tech do the work.

http://www.fjamods.com/5150.html

YOUR KIDDING ME! I got mine done in Vancouver by a professional tech for 60$ CANADIAN (3 weeks ago, by Mr Ho). Although they are good (FJA Jerry), dont go that extreme.

The cost of shipping to the US and possible damage eTC ETC etc would make that extemely unworthwhile.

I am sure there is someone in Toronto that can do the mod. I have the FJA bias mod plans on how to do yourself (off the website). Thats all you really need anyway....

:eek:

Check this guy out http://www.storm.ca/~rheslip/ampmods.htm

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Weird.
Anyways in case anyone comes across this doing a search...I'm happy with my 6505+ (without bias mod, although I'm sure it wouldnt hurt). I would say an OD pedal (808 based) is essential however.
I wouldnt recommend the Peavey cabs though. Can get a better (tighter, warmer) sound with a used Mesa recto cab. Thats my preference at least. I'm sure some Marshalls eg 1960 would sound great as well.

If someone has a reference for someone to do the bias mod within or around the GTA, I'd be interested. I'm sure FJA is great, but the shipping aspect kills it for me.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
It should be noted that Enslaved use the 5150/6505 and they have an amazing sound.
Ya, lots of groups use them (from new metal like you mentioned, to old metal like Skid row, trixter), which always surprises me. Not b/c they arent great amps, but I would've thought it was a no-no as a professional musician to use another musicians signature models. Signature models always suggest a bit of a fanboy/wanna be thing to me.
Kinda like seeing Eddie VH playing a Zakk Wyde or Yngwie edition guitar would seem weird.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
It's Black Metal :p.
New metal, black metal, death metal, metal core, deth core, thrash metal, power metal, speed metal, etc, etc. Its all the same to me.:rockon2:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Black metal's origins are mostly anti-religion but a lot of bands that are considered "black metal" are not really anti-religion. However, it has the same sort of sound with the raunchy vocals instead of low growls and also has melodic bits to it with clean vocals or just a different type of guitar sound.

Death metal is more like a heavy chugga with low growly vocals and sometimes very weird vocals including inhaling.

New or "nu" metal ............... I dunno. You can understand it more though. Bands like KoRn, Slipknot and Disturbed.

Thrash metal is stuff like Kreator.

The other stuff, I dunno. That "core" stuff sounds kinda stupid.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
Black metal's origins are mostly anti-religion but a lot of bands that are considered "black metal" are not really anti-religion. However, it has the same sort of sound with the raunchy vocals instead of low growls and also has melodic bits to it with clean vocals or just a different type of guitar sound.

Death metal is more like a heavy chugga with low growly vocals and sometimes very weird vocals including inhaling.

New or "nu" metal ............... I dunno. You can understand it more though. Bands like KoRn, Slipknot and Disturbed.

Thrash metal is stuff like Kreator.

The other stuff, I dunno. That "core" stuff sounds kinda stupid.
I'm not sure I completely understand the definition of the "core" stuff but on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalcore) they list eaxamples like Killswitch Engage and Bullet for my Valentine, which I think are pretty good groups. Not sure how they differ from thrash though. Back to the original topic: Both these groups at one point used 5150/6505's. :) http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/288

·
Registered
175 Posts
New metal, black metal, death metal, metal core, deth core, thrash metal, power metal, speed metal, etc, etc. Its all the same to me.:rockon2:
Are you serious?? Wow, you need to listen to some more metal if you can't tell the difference between those genres.

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
i'll say lol.

the thing about the two amps in question is that they are voiced very differently. i can get the crunch channel of my JSX to sound close to a 5150, but its not the same tone. its based off a different amp, for starters lol.

5150's are moddable, and a staple in metal music for the last 20? years. XXX, great amps but not so much. i have the feeling that some people who use the XXX dont quite get the active EQ part of it, or realize that if you want that wicked crunch distortion for metal.. you have to run the gain around 1 or 2.

and for the record, peavey cabs are fine. i own 2. one's got new speakers, and i prefer the sound of it over my stock XXX cab (both XXX cabs, stack). the Sheffields are actually the peavey variant of the classic Celestion Vintage 30 ;).

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Dissecting metal again eh:sport-smiley-002:

Can't we all just raise the horns and smell the tubes burning?

Go with the 6505 or 5150, more mod's available and more in use than the XXX.

Bev

1 - 20 of 42 Posts