1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,024 Posts
50 years?? I saw the movie at the cinema in 1970 (71?) Geezuz, I'm old :mad:

·
Registered
24,367 Posts
I still have my Woodstock issue of Rolling Stone from 1969. I was planning to go there, but had a supplemental exam to write that Friday morning. When I came home from the exam, my dad pointed to the helicopter footage of miles-long traffic jams on the TV and declared "You're not going!". My "consolation prize" was that Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention gave 5 free concerts at Terre des Hommes (the former Expo 67 site) that weekend, one on that Friday night and two on each of Saturday and Sunday. I went to all 5, and got to meet the band and interview Frank on the Saturday. Monday he broke up the band. About 2-3 months later, "Hot Rats" came out.

Several of my CEGEP classmates did go to Woodstock, however, and got covered in mud. They said they can be seen very briefly in the film. I never sat through it with them, so I could neither confirm or deny. Much of the footage is grainy, so you have to know exactly where someone was camped out to be able to spot them in all the tens of thousands.

I did help Richie Havens carry his gear from the taxi to our high school auditorium when he played there the year before, though. Does that count?

The first time I ever felt really old was when I realized that not only were my university students too young to have been at Woodstock, but so were their parents.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Isn't it ironic that America's Got Talent (and all of their fans) are going gaga over a 14-year old girl who sounds like Janis? 50 years ago if somebody hit the Woodstock stage doing Ukelele Ike tunes they probably would have been stoned (the other stoned, I mean) off the stage.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Isn't it ironic that America's Got Talent (and all of their fans) are going gaga over a 14-year old girl who sounds like Janis? 50 years ago if somebody hit the Woodstock stage doing Ukelele Ike tunes they probably would have been stoned (the other stoned, I mean) off the stage.
Likewise, I'm sure if some of those Woodstock acts could be time machined onto the AGT stage, a number would get X'd! They sure don't like bands on that show.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I still have my Woodstock issue of Rolling Stone from 1969. I was planning to go there, but had a supplemental exam to write that Friday morning. When I came home from the exam, my dad pointed to the helicopter footage of miles-long traffic jams on the TV and declared "You're not going!". My "consolation prize" was that Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention gave 5 free concerts at Terre des Hommes (the former Expo 67 site) that weekend, one on that Friday night and two on each of Saturday and Sunday. I went to all 5, and got to meet the band and interview Frank on the Saturday. Monday he broke up the band. About 2-3 months later, "Hot Rats" came out.

Several of my CEGEP classmates did go to Woodstock, however, and got covered in mud. They said they can be seen very briefly in the film. I never sat through it with them, so I could neither confirm or deny. Much of the footage is grainy, so you have to know exactly where someone was camped out to be able to spot them in all the tens of thousands.

I did help Richie Havens carry his gear from the taxi to our high school auditorium when he played there the year before, though. Does that count?

The first time I ever felt really old was when I realized that not only were my university students too young to have been at Woodstock, but so were their parents.
@mhammer that is so cool. The MOI interviewed??

·
Registered
24,367 Posts
Just Frank. It was idle chit-chat with the other guys milling around on stage before I got backstage. I had borrowed an 8mm film camera (I think an old Bolex) from a teacher, and the film had backed up, rendering it useless. One of the Mothers, possibly Roy Estrada or Bunk Gardner told me how I could do some interesting animation by scratching the emulsion on the film, even though it couldn't be developed. One of the other guys in the band told me how the tour had been a misery at times. One stadium they played said they would provide the P.A. system. And when the band arrived, the P.A. turned out to be a 35W Bogen for alerting spectators that someone left their headlights on. Not a dream gig.
But a dream weekend. I taped the interview, and loaned the tape to a guy at an Ottawa bookstore I never saw again. So all I have are memories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts