The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forty years ago, G-major defeated me. I was limited to decades of banging out barre chords up and down the neck. Back to the beginning.

Past several days spent on hundreds of repetitions...making smooth transitions between G, C and D. Suddenly my fingers seemed to fall into place. The open G-major chord is now easy!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
and if you put another 10k hours of effective practice you will become great player. :D

Joking aside, you discovered the effective practice recipe! Repeat until is easy :D
To cite Hancock from the movie "Good Job"

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Forty years ago, G-major defeated me. I was limited to decades of banging out barre chords up and down the neck. Back to the beginning.

Past several days spent on hundreds of repetitions...making smooth transitions between G, C and D. Suddenly my fingers seemed to fall into place. The open G-major chord is now easy!
I thought it was only me with this issue! I started learning 3 years ago and never got the open G. It took me a year to get barre chords and now here I am doing major and minor barre chords everywhere but I can't do open GCD!
You've I aspired me to make it a goal to be able to do this sooner rather then never.
Camp fire signs are only 3 chords away...

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Do you use 2 fingers on the high e and b strings?

The left one. I can make the chord, but I cant move to or from it very smoothly. I know ..... I need to sit and just do it 100 times or more....
That's actually how I got the switch from barre G on the 6th string to barre C on the 5th. I repeated that move every night for a week.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
As the old joke goes
Q - how do you get to Carnegie Hall??
A - practice, lots of practice

I am just starting this repetition stage in my learning. Seems boring and drawn out........but the end result is worth the monotony.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I think I learned that one without the index. I think I was showed that way so you were already set up for barre? Now I can do either easily. (but that's about all ;) )

·
Premium Member
5,161 Posts
I learned to play G differently. Third finger on the low E string, second finger on the A string, and my fourth finger (pinky) holding down both the B and high E in a little barre.
Makes changes a breeze. To Whoever taught me that way of making a G, thank you.

pardon the old man fingers
Old man fingers in G.jpg

I've got a real funky A chord too. Barre the first 4 strings on the second fret with your first finger, stretch your pinky all the way up to the 5th fret on the first string. Anybody else doing that one?

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I’m glad I started doing this in grade five when I had nuthin else to do. I don’t think I could put up with it now ... lol
I wish! ....I started at 50... with 3 kids in competitive sports..it's not easy but I can blame "age" for my taking over a year to get to doing barre chords.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I watched two videos during a lunch break years ago. One guy was all over the neck with fancy fingering, the other guy used one or two fingers throughout, with a third when required. The simple fingering produced much better music and I have been working on the easiest possible techniques ever since. Fancy is great for practice, as it builds knowledge, but fancy is unnecessary for entertainment. My number one rule now is: what can I leave out?

·
Premium Member
5,161 Posts
I watched two videos during a lunch break years ago. One guy was all over the neck with fancy fingering, the other guy used one or two fingers throughout, with a third when required. The simple fingering produced much better music and I have been working on the easiest possible techniques ever since. Fancy is great for practice, as it builds knowledge, but fancy is unnecessary for entertainment. My number one rule now is: what can I leave out?
I've been known to get lazy from time to time and play a Bm with only 3 fingers. Don't tell anybody, or they'll kick me outta this place. :D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Django Reinhardt essentially used only his fretting hand thumb and first two fingers. His ring finger and pinkie were badly injured in a fire.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I can do a G ok. The transition between G and C is not great...but I run screaming like a girl at bar chords...just cant get them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts