·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up this morning, having my coffee and reading my facebook feel on this add:

This is from a local pawnshop.

Tele, no name, 119.99$

no other info given what so ever...

based on the pic, could be Japan or Korean made. Since was going out decided to stop off at lunch time...

This followed me home !!! ;)

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I bought one of those about 10 years ago to give to a neighborhood kid who was learning to play. It was actually a decent little guitar. The one I bought was branded “Raven” but I’ve seen them with other names on the headstock. Japanese, 70’s.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While at the counter paying for the guitar, seller tells me I have 3 month`s guarantee on the guitar and then tells me to wait for him to get the case ??? :oops:

He pulls out this mint 70``s Japan case, tells me the guitar came with it... :D

BONUS !!!

Man I`m full of it... :LOL:

Great $100 spent.

I`ll post it on my Japan groups to try and figure out if its a pre 1975 ( before all Japan instrument had to have a serial number on it ) or a post 1975 were Japan made parts were shipped to Korea to be assembled there with all the Japan part and shipped from Korea to save on export taxes... plus might be able to figure out it came from which Co also...

Happy camper here !!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,629 Posts
CONGRATS! you find such extremely cool stuff!

Have you ever seen this style of bridge and bridge pickup before?
Looks very interesting. Possibly unique to this brand?

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 2.36.47 PM.png

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it appeared on several brands, more experienced people on my Japan groups might shed some light as to the origins...

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well def. pre 75 since the zero fret disappeared in 1970...

Kasuga or Sakai are the suspects so far as to the makers...

Shares lots with early 60`s Aria Matsumoku built guitars but the neckplate is different...

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think it appeared on several brands, more experienced people on my Japan groups might shed some light as to the origins...
I have seen Ibanez teles with that bridge/pickup combo. That being said, I'm pretty sure Ibbies of that vintage had Made in Japan on the neckplate. Doesn't mean somebody hasn't changed it though or that this isn't a wicked deal regardless of brand :)

·
Registered
2,820 Posts

View attachment 337179
Pickup no, but that bridge (and the ashtray cover) was on the 70's Lero tele i bought...i may still have the ashtray...i swapped the tele bridge out before i sold it

·
Registered
2006 Custom Christopher Reesor Classical
240 Posts
If you do put an ashtray on it, don't do any play straight into a marshall stack cranked up! The buzzing could be very interesting as an effect. The old early telies would rattle like a tin can and that is the real reason why most ash tray covers get yanked for good. I have seem then modded for looks by using screws instead of just friction to hold the bridge cover secure enough to not buzz and rattle. I don't do electric but I have talked to quite a few really experienced players that use tellys over the years.

Hope your electronics are decent if not you can always give them a little upgrade if necessary. The neck looks decent enough but I wouldn't do too many dives and up bends with it if I were you. Again I have seen quite a few tellys over the years that suffered from apes on the strings and were too far gone for just a simple truss rod job. Either that or decapitated in a repair shop or the attic 🎸 💣 💣 💣

Shameless advertising below.
PS, my brother is joining up some top notch clear red alder 3 piece blanks if anyone with the skill, gear and know how to use them is interested. Covid makes it so he does not have the time to build a swack of small body electrics on custom order so his alder supply can go. He will concentrate on acoustics for now seeing that the electric guitar custom build market really sucks because of cheap guitars! Reply only to his website email [email protected] if anyone is interested in air dried properly prepared body blanks, please.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did a quick set up on it yesterday. Dropped the strings by lots and this baby plays great. Strings could go lower but the bridge wont allow me to adjust 100% to my liking.

Still need to go over the frets since some wood shrinkage.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

View attachment 337179

If you find this bridge weird , have a look at a Aria I got about 13 years ago.

The way I got it:

after a quick clean up...

This was my first time cutting a pickguard, i missed... but that bridge is still very weird and unique. Never saw another ever.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts