The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just starting out on a Les Paul shaped telecaster build. I got the South American mahogany from a buddy in town, I had to laminate chunks on the sides to cover the measurements of the lower bout. I traced my LP custom onto a piece of mdf and cut it out with my bandsaw. I drew a centreline on the template so I could line it up with the center of the hog. The planed blank is 1 3/4" thick. I'll leave it like this until I get the neck pocket routed (that will give me somewhere to screw the routing template to).

I want to build a LP special shaped body with all tele appointments. Bridge, control plate , maple tele neck and lipstick neck pup. My only tele has a minihum in the neck position. Not sure if I'll paint it, I might leave it mahogany red.

I don't have any parts yet, I'll take my time acquiring it all. I'm not too fussy, but I want each part to look like it came off a telecaster. I'll keep updating as it comes along.

·
Premium Member
17,173 Posts
Odds it'll sound like a tele?

Going set neck or bolt on?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bolt on. I really just want the body to be the only thing that isn't tele. I would like to have the real thing but that's not in the cards now. Or soon. I've spent my guitar allowance for the next three years.
All in this build will cost as much, or more than a mim tele but I can budget shop and have some fun putting it together.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I played a couple fanos last week in Arizona that were very much like what you're building and they were great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts