The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where s a good place to get replacement parts for a les paul. I put new gold pickups in and i WANT to change the rest of the hardware from nickle to gold. IS there any place thats easy to get these parts cheap.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm building a guitar right now, as well as 'refurbishing' my Les Paul (new pickups, mounting rings and chrome covers for the pups), and I have found that for the most part, I have gotten a lot of my parts pretty cheap on eBay (as long as you're careful of what you are buying quality-wise). I found that no local music shops seem to carry many parts, so I don't feel too guilty about buying online.
-Mikey

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah pretty much no shops carry what I need but ebay has them. I found a site called www.guitarpartscanada.com but it seems expensive for some items. Im turning everything on my les paul to gold. I need gold screws, gold bracket for pickguard, gold machine heads and a gold tailpiece and bridge. Let me know if you guys know any sites. Thanks

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
There is an eBay store called Ezra Music operating out of Edmonton that I have bought quite a lot of stuff from. Here's a link: http://stores.ebay.com/EZRA-music
They have quite a variety of parts, they are easy to deal with, and their shipping is quick. Might be worth a look. Come to think of it, I just bought a bridge off eBay from another Edmonton operator called Choppers Music, but I haven't received the part yet, so I don't know about how fast their shipping is yet.
-Mikey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Guyz,

It's Ted from www.GuitarPartsCanada.com here. We try and keep all our prices fair to consumers and Brick and mortar retailers. However if you find we may have some products overpriced, please let me know and i'll verify that we are doing the best we can on that product.

Everyone please feel free to contact me with any questions guitar related that you may have. thanks and glad to join the community!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hi Ted,

I would like to switch over the pots in my Agile LP to CTS pots. I see you have many different sizes on your site, do you know which size I need?

Also, do you no longer carry the tonepros stuff?

ted13 said:
Hey Guyz,

It's Ted from www.GuitarPartsCanada.com here. We try and keep all our prices fair to consumers and Brick and mortar retailers. However if you find we may have some products overpriced, please let me know and i'll verify that we are doing the best we can on that product.

Everyone please feel free to contact me with any questions guitar related that you may have. thanks and glad to join the community!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
For a Les Paul the usual upgrade is to 500K audio taper. I'd guess you probably need the long shaft, but you'd better check first.
And if you're changing pots, get some good caps in there, not the (sorry Ted) ceramic disks.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
dwagar said:
For a Les Paul the usual upgrade is to 500K audio taper. I'd guess you probably need the long shaft, but you'd better check first.
And if you're changing pots, get some good caps in there, not the (sorry Ted) ceramic disks.
Yeah, I just don't know what shaft length I need. I like some new caps to but Ted's cite doesn't have what I am looking for. You would think in a city the size of Edmonton there would be a place to just go buy this stuff . . .

·
Registered
8 Posts
the regular cts 500k audio pots are what you need. as for tone caps, we offer sprague orange drops on the site. Also available are just about any capacitor of your choice. (solen fast caps, hovland musicaps, etc)

thanks!
Ted

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
ted13 said:
the regular cts 500k audio pots are what you need. as for tone caps, we offer sprague orange drops on the site. Also available are just about any capacitor of your choice. (solen fast caps, hovland musicaps, etc)

thanks!
Ted
Thanks Ted. How long are the "regular" CTS pots? What caps would you suggest and what are the prices like?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check the site but i think the orange drops are 4$ a piece. solen "fast" and hovland caps are all about 15$ each. I think sprague orange drops are more than adequate. i don't have an exact mesurment for the pots but they are the ones used in lespauls and other similar guitars. i know for sure the regular cts pots ep_0086 are long enough for the application.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
my apologies - I didn't notice the orange drops (perhaps you could have someone add the picture to them, for guys like me that can't read). I don't see Hovlands listed under caps though, where abouts are they?
And yes, .022 orange drops should be good for this (although I think the Hovlands would be worth the extra few $)

traynor-garnet - if your Agile has the metal plate in the cavity, you'll need long shaft pots, if not, check the length first. re caps: I'd suggest get the best you can afford. .022 is std for Gibson, I like a .015 in the neck position to roll off to the 'brown sound'. I guess I'd suggest ordering 2-22s and 1-15 so you can try them.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Thanks guys,

Looks like 4 CTS 500k pots, 2 Sprague Orange drop caps, and Wire will run me about $40 plus shipping.

Do you think this will make a drastic differenc in the sound? I've already replaced the stock pickups with Seymour Duncan 59s.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yes, pots and caps are IMO the biggest bang for the buck upgrade.
I generally look to pots and caps before I'll do a pickup change, sometimes that's all you need.
Most guys seem to prefer the audio taper pots (not linear), I'd suggest them.

Did you double check the shaft on the pots first?

Also, what do you have for a soldering iron? I prefer 45W, some prefer 30W. Don't be using a big gun iron in there or you can cook this stuff.

edit: re above thread hijack - sorry.

If you don't mind importing, here's a couple:

Guitar Electronics.com (have good wiring diagrams too.)
RS Guitarworks
Pigtail Music

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'll start a new thread, sorry about that. BTW, there is no need to become uncivil, we are just a bunch of people talking about guitars . . .

TG

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
imbackagain2 said:
yeah i don't think that was uncivil. If you think thats uncivil you live a sheltered life my friend
To me, referring to someone as "you highjacker" is not exactly civil; if you were being tongue-in-cheek, a simple :) would convey your intent.

For the record, I've hardly lead a sheltered life.

Now, as per your request, back to guitars :)

Happy playing,
TG

·
Registered
786 Posts
Go to http://www.guitarpartsresource.com They are very reliable and even after shipping, tax, and exchage you'll come out ahead of buying parts in Canada. My buddy and I recently ordered a bunch of pickups from them and saved about 30% (that's after exchange and all that junk) over buying the stuff locally.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts