The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
scottone said something in another thread that got me thinking about people i have known who had a particular talent for something. i bet all of you have known people with talents you found interesting. maybe you might mention some of them?

1) my dad was an accountant for the dupont company back before the days of calculators. he could do complex math in his head with accuracy, far faster than i ever learned how to do it with a calculator.

2) a guy i worked with in canada had amazing spatial recognition. he could look at 2 pieces of unconnected duct from across the room and tell you the cut length and offset with pretty good accuracy. i mean, within half an inch. i saw him do this many times.

3) back when i was really into bass fishing, and did it every day, i could put a 1/2 oz spinnerbait into a coffee can from 60-70 feet 80% of the time. i could also throw a slider and a curve. i often wonder if i could re develop that level of skill

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
My dad is the most talented guy I know:
  • speaks 5 languages fluently (Arabic, English, French, Italian, Greek). He even went to University in a language he didn't know (italian) for engineering in Egypt. Also went to Harvard business which was in english.
  • decided he wanted to carve decoys. Enters massive competition at Ontario place and comes in first two years in a row (the only 2 years he entered only two ducks he's ever carved). Gets in the news.
  • Charcoal drawing, water colours, acrylic, some sort of needle/fabric art...does it...sells it.
  • Furniture maker
  • mechanic. Couldn't afford a bike when he was young, so offered to repair them, so he could ride them. Motorcycles, cars, whatever.
  • Took up jewelry making/faceting stones/engineering inventions and selling them and his DVDs all over the world. Also teaches weekly.
  • Black belt in problem solving. Single-handedly and very literally saved Ford BILLIONS in a 6 month period as a consultant. I wish you could see him at work - he's a phenom.
  • Green thumb (which I find very irritating, tbh)
There's so much more, but I just can't think of it right now.

P

·
0 Posts
  • speaks 5 languages fluently (Arabic, English, French, Italian, Greek). He even went to University in a language he didn't know (italian) for engineering in Egypt. Also went to Harvard business which was in english.
  • decided he wanted to carve decoys. Enters massive competition at Ontario place and comes in first two years in a row (the only 2 years he entered only two ducks he's ever carved). Gets in the news.
  • Charcoal drawing, water colours, acrylic, some sort of needle/fabric art...does it...sells it.
  • Furniture maker
  • mechanic. Couldn't afford a bike when he was young, so offered to repair them, so he could ride them. Motorcycles, cars, whatever.
  • Took up jewelry making/faceting stones/engineering inventions and selling them and his DVDs all over the world. Also teaches weekly.
  • Black belt in problem solving. Single-handedly and very literally saved Ford BILLIONS in a 6 month period as a consultant. I wish you could see him at work - he's a phenom.
Can he play the lead from Eruption?

P

·
0 Posts
The general sense is that you haven’t lost that talent :).
Whew! I thought I had lost my only talent...

Thanks to all my fans and especially to the haters for bringing me to this level of recognition and achievement.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
  • Furniture maker
Very talented man. You must be very proud of him

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Everyone is talented in their own ways, some more then others.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
In high school I could flick a beer cap with deadly accuracy. One time at a party I said to the guy next to me, "Watch this. Off that wall, off that wall, back in my hand." Snap! Bounced off two walls and I caught it without moving my hand up or down..

Seriously high point of my life.

:)
That’s definitely talent in my books! :D

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
In high school I could flick a beer cap with deadly accuracy. One time at a party I said to the guy next to me, "Watch this. Off that wall, off that wall, back in my hand." Snap! Bounced off two walls and I caught it without moving my hand up or down..

Seriously high point of my life.

:)
I totally forgot about flicking beer caps. That's something I'm going to have to show my son. I wasn't very good with the aim, but like most people I could launch a good ways

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts