The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you done this? I'm planning to make one wall in my living room similar to this. Any tips/tricks?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Looks great, but do you know how many chemicals are sprayed on skid? . Especially hard wood skids either going to or coming from overseas. Just thought i would mention that

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great, but do you know how many chemicals are sprayed on skid? . Especially hard wood skids either going to or coming from overseas. Just thought i would mention that
I've heard about this. Looked this up as a guide...

Reactions: zontar

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Sort of. I wanted a barn board wall so I could lean cases against it without worrying about scuffing the wall. But barn board can be expensive. So I installed a barn board chair rail. The top of each case touches it. Will see if I can find a pic.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
People make tons of stuff from pallet wood. I have a headboard I am working on that will be all pallet boards. I don't plan on eating or burning the wood so I'm not worried about chemicals. Once it is thickness planed, stained and clear coated it will be fine

Something like this

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Find the studs.
Screw 1/2" or 3/8 ply to the walls, making sure you sink the screws into the studs.

Attach the barn boards/skids with pl premium and an 18 gauge brad nailer.

Find guitar hangers and attach them with 2" screws.

The hardest part is de nailing the skids ;)

Nathan

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
no need to pull all those nails, just saw the ends off, you’ll only lose a couple of inches. then you’ll only need to worry about whatever is in the middle but this way it’s a third less work

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
Do you want the pallet look or the wall hangers or both?

Mostly asking because I have unused wall hangers.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
It’s hard to find pallets with a variety of patina these days. I see piles of them all the same colour or garbage quality.

It makes a great feature wall though. I’ve wanted to do this for a while but it’s a huge wall

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
Whenever wood looks black is probably due to mold. Something I’d look out for. Your could easily relic the wood yourself and go from there. Or avoid ones with black stains. @adcandour if you wash it with the right chemical, the mold would not revive in moisture or humidity would it ? (he knows a bit about This. )

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Yeah, pallets are generally mouldy due to transport or outdoor storage. Planing all surfaces will be fine, but if you don't, it could be washed with certain chemicals and the "lumberyard growth" won't return.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you want the pallet look or the wall hangers or both?

Mostly asking because I have unused wall hangers.
Once the boards are up I'll be looking for wall hangers. I may take you up on this. I've not thought that far ahead as to which style I might want though. I'll let you know when I get there.

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
no need to pull all those nails, just saw the ends off, you’ll only lose a couple of inches. then you’ll only need to worry about whatever is in the middle but this way it’s a third less work
A sawzall works perfect if you want to remove the nails. I just deconstructed my old fence in record time with one and saved most of the wood. If you still need to remove the nails it is much easier too when they're cut in half.
If the pallets are built with staples though it's a bit of a tougher job. Generally, the guy using the stapler goes a little crazy and puts staples everywhere.

·
Premium Member
12,184 Posts
My dad used to have us tear down old wooden grain bins. We removed a lot of nails by hand so the wood would be reusable. Rusty old nails, in for decades, heads would strip off. etc. But, in retrospect, I realize he never really built anything with all that wood. I think he was just keeping us busy. Smart man, my dad. Smart man!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts