The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok - so the next logical discussion point after the full face respirator is paint booths. I am planning an addition to my shop and would like to build a dedicated paint booth / room. I have been googling and looking online at suppliers for pre-fab paint booths for about the size required.

I would like to hear from the pros and high end DIYers. I would like to develop a pro setup if possible.

My questions specifically relate to design. Positive pressure vs negative pressure. Also I have seen a lot of booths with filters and exhaust right behind the work piece. This seems like you are sucking air / contaminants towards the guitar?? Would it make sense to have the exhaust closer to the floor below the guitar?

All tips and suggestions and even solicitations ;-) welcome. Thanks.

Regards Peter.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Ok - so the next logical discussion point after the full face respirator is paint booths. I am planning an addition to my shop and would like to build a dedicated paint booth / room. I have been googling and looking online at suppliers for pre-fab paint booths for about the size required.

I would like to hear from the pros and high end DIYers. I would like to develop a pro setup if possible.

My questions specifically relate to design. Positive pressure vs negative pressure. Also I have seen a lot of booths with filters and exhaust right behind the work piece. This seems like you are sucking air / contaminants towards the guitar?? Would it make sense to have the exhaust closer to the floor below the guitar?

All tips and suggestions and even solicitations ;-) welcome. Thanks.

Regards Peter.
Any chance you can edit and change your font colour? Not being critical but it’s hard to read black on black on this and perhaps others devices

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that better? It looks fine on the desktop but I did notice it was black on black in the preview window. I've changed it to the default and it looks exactly the same as your response and this post on my computer.

Regards Peter.

·
Premium Member
6,436 Posts
what I've had the best success with is no filtration. Just a ceiling mounted air filter running in the garage 24/7 that exhausts inside, well away from where I spray. I don't make dust and then spray the same day of course. I give the air a chance to settle and then try not to disturb anything before I spray. To me this means have everything you need set out and ready to go the day before. walk in, spray, walk out, rinse & repeat. I use a spray tent to catch over-spray, but no filters or fans other than the one I mentioned. As you alluded to in your post @Silvertone , it always seemed the harder I tried to filter, the more crap I got on what I was spraying. That's how I ended up here with no filters. Also, I use an HVLP sprayer that really doesn't kick up a lot of air movement compared to conventional spray guns.

I can't afford a full professional type spray booth. They should exhaust outside, which means make-up air coming into the building has to be heated and filtered. That's a big deal.

When I spray, dust contamination is very low on my list of worries. :D I wear a simple dust mask just to keep from inhaling paint. Fumes are not a concern as I use waterbase products.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am adding an addition onto my current shop. So I am entertaining any suggestions or tips. I looked at a turn key option. Here is a link to a a bench booth model. Bench Booth This is about the size I was after. I might not have the shelf in there as I would normally just hang the guitar inside.

I could build this into an enclosed space at the end of my shop. That way I could have the door closed most of the time to save on heating but then also have a filter in the door for intake air.

Regards Peter.

·
Premium Member
6,436 Posts
I am adding an addition onto my current shop. So I am entertaining any suggestions or tips. I looked at a turn key option. Here is a link to a a bench top paint booth. This is about the size I was after. I might not have the shelf in there as I would normally just hang the guitar inside.

I could build this into an enclosed space at the end of my shop. That way I could have the door closed most of the time to save on heating but then also have a filter in the door for intake air.

Regards Peter.
Hi Peter, I can't find a link in your post. maybe give it another try. Doors on it would be nice, I agree.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it was there, I just didn't see it.

That benchtop booth in your link is all the things that dreams are made of. I'd love to have one.
Yeah it's seems like the thing to have. The price seems reasonable but I'm not really sure what's included. I'm just in the fact finding stage, so I might give the guys a call and see if I can get a quote for a turn key product and then get the dimensions.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Dan Erlewine from Stewmac made a fold-away spray booth in his shop that looked very functional but space saving. I can’t find the video, but maybe some searching will get you the details.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL - that is not what I am after. I guess you missed the line in the OP that says -
I would like to develop a pro setup if possible.
Made me chuckle when I saw this though. I currently paint in my open shop with a good HVLP setup. It works fine but my shop is very small and I am looking at an addition. I recently just finished some spraying at a friend's booth and really liked the process. I have a full time job right now but am thinking of this as an early retirement / new career transition. I'm looking for a professional setup. Thanks though. That would work great if you were painting those handles.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol. I had post #6, bench top model in mind when I came across that.
Happy hunting.

Sorry yeah - that might be a bit of a misnomer. I think it just means it has a bench inside of it. A picture probably would have helped. Here is the one I am looking at currently but probably without the bench top (counter).

Product Door Machine

The important thing to me is the filter system, ducting, exhaust, and lighting. Ideally lose the shelf and just have the booth that size. I would love to be able to just have filters that would filter the air so it is somewhat clean when it comes out. The upside of that is that it wouldn't have to vent outside or bring in outside air to replace the outgoing air. I want to be able to spray year round without having to worry about air temp and air humidity. Still in the beginning stages, so all conversations are welcome.

Regards Peter.

PS - thanks loristotle for pointing out my error. I corrected the wording. I had added "top" to what they call their Bench Booth.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my wife built one like that once out of large breed cardboard box on a table top. (dishwasher size) Box Fan and furnace filter on one side, like in the picture, with an opening on the opposite covered by another furnace filter. It even had a light in it. Worked quite well, It stood for years, she was very proud of it.
That looks really posh for what it is.

Cheers Peter.

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
It seems as though you want one about 1/2 the width of the booth in the top pic.
They do mention having 260 pre-engineered models for fast shipping. One model certainly must have your name on it!

Product Furniture Table

1 - 20 of 21 Posts