The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a nice new MIM Jazzmaster in the studio, and it's been awesome for layering.

My question is this - what are the differences between the P90 in a Jazzmaster versus say an LP Jr? Physically the Fender one is much wider and I have no idea if the innards are basically the same.

Side note, my GAS for a PRS SE 277 semi-hollow is real.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess this one is billed as the "classic player" as on the Fender site the standard jazzmaster is HH

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a proper Jazzmaster pickup is not a P90, two totally different style of pickups
This is why I asked if it is a P90 and what the differences are :)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I found this, skip to 1:47 for the start of info

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
the jazz has a short and wide pickup with magnets for pole pieces, the p90 has taller and narrower structure with screws and bar magnets across the bottom
I have played and ordered aftermarket pickups for the jazzmaster that come in every style so the options are endless
some of the Japanese made jazzmasters came with strat pickups under those big covers
my MIM came with a jazz shaped pickups, fibre that was wide and short but had bar magnets glued to the bottom, they weren't great and Novaks replaced them

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Novak's have a great reputation!

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the jazz is more like the wide-field buckers found in a tele deluxe (?) in comparison to p90's and buckers.

All I know is a clean jazzmaster sounds awesome haha. The JA-90 we have here didnt sound nearly as good but then its also mahogany (and basically a LP).

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
So the jazz is more like the wide-field buckers found in a tele deluxe (?) in comparison to p90's and buckers.

All I know is a clean jazzmaster sounds awesome haha. The JA-90 we have here didnt sound nearly as good but then its also mahogany (and basically a LP).
not really, the wide range is two taller but obviously narrower coils together and they use threaded magnet pieces, traditionally CuNiFe, you won't find proper ones in many, if any, current production Deluxe Teles
I had the classic player JM and it was great but I received it with upgrades so I don't have a proper comparison, the pickup circuit is pretty special in those guitars so it could potentially sound very different even with similar pickups

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@vadsy I greatly appreciate your info in this thread.

I may need a proper jazzmaster for layering going forward...

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course a prs se one comes up for sale. Cant do that either.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
I had the exact same guitar as you posted @Budda. I tried it in a loud band setting and I couldn’t get on with it. It sounded amazing at home though.
On the opposite, the P90 Guitars I’ve brought out, cut very well with bass and drums.
On that note, Wade MacNeil uses a Jazzmaster live for a few songs and it sounded awesome for what I heard.

·
Premium Member
16,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had the exact same guitar as you posted @Budda. I tried it in a loud band setting and I couldn’t get on with it. It sounded amazing at home though.
On the opposite, the P90 Guitars I’ve brought out, cut very well with bass and drums.
On that note, Wade MacNeil uses a Jazzmaster live for a few songs and it sounded awesome for what I heard.
I would still be using my PRS for live work, I'm just thinking ahead to the next time we're in a studio. With any luck it will be this one again haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts