The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started of the Eastwood thread because I've been wanting a modestly price P90x2 guitar. I've found the Reverends interesting, but I still want one that is part Gibson in style someway or another. I would like to try a Hamer XT SATP90, a nice looking Gold Top Double Cut. On dealer said he might be able to get me one to try from the distributor. Then I went up the road and tried out a used Godin LG P90. They even had my amp model there so I could plug it in and try it. Well, I was definitely impressed for the price ($375). I'm very seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. It is one hefty plank of mahoganey but felt good. Just hope to try the Hamer XT first.

·
Premium Member
13,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
faracaster said:
P-90's are hands down my favorite style of pickups. A really great inexpensive P-90 guitar is the PRS Singlecut SE. Although more money then the Godin, (I think they are around 700 new) they are still a killer deal. If you can get one used.....an even better deal. Glue in neck, all mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, vol., tone, and a three way switch. They might be more suited to your Gibson style desires.
Yeah, I know about the SC SE Soapbar. Would be nice to have one, but you don't see many around. (I hadn't decided when you had yours for sale). The Godin is about $600 new. I've got a line on a used one for about $375. This one felt good and the PU sounded very nice through a Gibson GA-5 reissue (which I have). The clean sound surprised me.

The thing felt like it weighed 2x a Gibson LP DC special faded. But there was something about that big slab of Mahogany that was attactive. Fortunately I don't have back or shoulder problems

I also did a check on the HC reviews. Im usually a bit wary of HC but there were many reviews (42) on this model and the average rating was 9.7 - something I'd only expect to see on Gustavson Bluesmaster. So I read a number of them closely going back a few years. Out did expectations in most cases.

There was only one other P90 guitar that impressed me like this and that was many moons ago. I had it for two weeks but had to give it back because my parents wouldn't give or lend me the $110 to buy it. A 56 Les Paul - but that's another story

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.