The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started of the Eastwood thread because I've been wanting a modestly price P90x2 guitar. I've found the Reverends interesting, but I still want one that is part Gibson in style someway or another. I would like to try a Hamer XT SATP90, a nice looking Gold Top Double Cut. On dealer said he might be able to get me one to try from the distributor. Then I went up the road and tried out a used Godin LG P90. They even had my amp model there so I could plug it in and try it. Well, I was definitely impressed for the price ($375). I'm very seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this one. It is one hefty plank of mahoganey but felt good. Just hope to try the Hamer XT first.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
P90's are nice..... I have a set of wolfetone P90's in a tokai gold top that I purchased off a forumite and the tone is just pure heaven. I run them thru my little Ampeg and get a big sound. Also would like to add that the Tokai is a pretty fine guitar for the buck. Happy P90 hunting.... :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Our bass player has a godin p90. It is a great guitar. Tons of different sounds, great neck, a little plain looking but a very well made guitar.

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
RObert, the Godin LGSP90 is a FANTASTIC guitar. I owned one for about a year. The only reason I had to get rid of mine was it was a little heavy for me and I have a bad shoulder. But if you want the best parts of a Gibson and a Fender mixed, that is the guitar to get. And I personally think the Seymore Duncan P-90's sounds great. The best thing about those guitars is the neck though. The weird bolt-on and bridge design make the neck on those guitars heaven to play.

I LOVE P-90's and have tried a whole lot of P-90 guitars and the Godin was among my favourites.

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
P-90's are hands down my favorite style of pickups. A really great inexpensive P-90 guitar is the PRS Singlecut SE. Although more money then the Godin, (I think they are around 700 new) they are still a killer deal. If you can get one used.....an even better deal. Glue in neck, all mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, vol., tone, and a three way switch. They might be more suited to your Gibson style desires.

Cheers
Pete

·
Premium Member
5,168 Posts
It's hard to explain, but P-90's really seem to emphasize the characteristics of a guitar too. My Reverend is a chambered mahogany body with a Spruce top, and the P-90's just sound incredible in it. It sounds so warm and 'airy'. But on the other side of that, while I thought the PRS SE Soapbars were a very nice guitar, they just didn't do it for me at all tone wise.

Probably the best sounding P-90 tone I have heard overall is my single P-90 Melody Maker though. Gibson P-90's in a mahogany slab like that just sound fantastic.

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
faracaster said:
P-90's are hands down my favorite style of pickups. A really great inexpensive P-90 guitar is the PRS Singlecut SE. Although more money then the Godin, (I think they are around 700 new) they are still a killer deal. If you can get one used.....an even better deal. Glue in neck, all mahogany body and neck, rosewood board, vol., tone, and a three way switch. They might be more suited to your Gibson style desires.
Yeah, I know about the SC SE Soapbar. Would be nice to have one, but you don't see many around. (I hadn't decided when you had yours for sale). The Godin is about $600 new. I've got a line on a used one for about $375. This one felt good and the PU sounded very nice through a Gibson GA-5 reissue (which I have). The clean sound surprised me.

The thing felt like it weighed 2x a Gibson LP DC special faded. But there was something about that big slab of Mahogany that was attactive. Fortunately I don't have back or shoulder problems

I also did a check on the HC reviews. Im usually a bit wary of HC but there were many reviews (42) on this model and the average rating was 9.7 - something I'd only expect to see on Gustavson Bluesmaster. So I read a number of them closely going back a few years. Out did expectations in most cases.

There was only one other P90 guitar that impressed me like this and that was many moons ago. I had it for two weeks but had to give it back because my parents wouldn't give or lend me the $110 to buy it. A 56 Les Paul - but that's another story

·
Registered
526 Posts
try a fender tc-90. its the only fender on the market right now that I just "had to have". the pricetag is nice too. I had an sg classic which was a real nice guitar and my les paul studio LE w/ p90s is one of my favorite guitars.

Godin's sound nice and all but I can't stand the look of them.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Robert1950 said:

I also did a check on the HC reviews. Im usually a bit wary of HC but there were many reviews (42) on this model and the average rating was 9.7 - something I'd only expect to see on Gustavson Bluesmaster. So I read a number of them closely going back a few years. Out did expectations in most cases.

There was only one other P90 guitar that impressed me like this and that was many moons ago. I had it for two weeks but had to give it back because my parents wouldn't give or lend me the $110 to buy it. A 56 Les Paul - but that's another story
The only people that give bad reviews are those that got a lemon.
Godin seems to have good QC so people that bought them will love them, usually. They tried them in the store and bought them. Now they want to tell everybody what a good deal they got. :smile:

Even when you get a bad review you really have to read it carefully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts