The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, I have an old neck through double cut that I'd like to mod. I want to set it up similar to Steve Hill's JPJ. (If I have room to fit in an off-centre p/u.) It currently has humbuckers which I'm planning on switching out to P90's. Because of the low string clearance, I assume they will have to be soap-bars. Or is there surface mount models that retrofit over the humbucker hole? Can anyone enlighten me on P90's? Good brands? What to watch out for?

Also, I have to rewire and replace all the pots. Do P90's require 500k pots? I'm not sure how to configure the offset pickup, first POA is to get it back together with P90s 1st, then the offset later

L

·
0 Posts
P90's are single coils. 250k volume pots. you can use 500k for the tone.
That's how I have my Epi DC LP wired with Lindy Fralins (soapbar) and
the 500k gives the tone a wide sweep. I like.

I'd imagine dog ears would work well too.

·
Premium Member
1,197 Posts
What he said!

Lets see a pic of the guitar to be modded and the steve hill guitar

I'm not really sure what you're shooting for.
But dogears or soapbars would work just fine.

I really like the p90s I got from The Pickup Wizard and he also does some offset pickups...so he can wind them so the outputs are pretty close.
One of my teles has a tele bridge and a p90 neck and he wound them so there's no volume drop when switching from neck to bridge.

Nathan

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Seynour Duncan Phat Cats will fit into an HB hole.

Fralin makes a Split-single, I think that he calls it a P92.
Not exactly a P90, but it will be much quieter.

Are something like those what you're after?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks much for the info guys

This is a photo of the same guitar. (Being lazy, didn't feel like digging it out of the abyss I call workshop these days)

This is Steve Hill's LPJ

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I just had my LP Jr rewired, and went with 500k pots for both volume and tone. .022 cap. Sounds great.
Why 250k for the volume pot?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my LP Jr rewired, and went with 500k pots for both volume and tone. .022 cap. Sounds great.
Why 250k for the volume pot?
because P90's are single coil. 500k's are for humbuckers

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
If you're half decent with a soldering iron, just buy the 500k pots and the cap, and some braided wire. I use Philadephia Luthier Tools. Cheap, quick shipping, and great selection of parts.

L

·
0 Posts
I just heard the same about 250k for single, 500k for hum.
Hopefully, someone who 'knows' why, will chime in.

Nice! Looks like an uncle Mat's. Not Vantage .. Aria?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Nice! Looks like an uncle Mat's. Not Vantage .. Aria?

Thanks. Very similar to the Aria and Vantage...I think it came from the same factory badged as Onyx. Mine is translucent brown..I prefer this charcoal version. I changed the jack to a Strat style, though I still have the original

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just watched a how-to vid by Jason Lollar.
I am amazed at how close the pockets come to the back of some guitars. The one he's demonstrating on is an SG which is very thin meaning there's roughly only an 1/8" of wood between the pocket and the back of the guitar. Saying that, wouldn't the neck joints on some guitars be very fragile? My LP is a long tenon, but I cant see how an SG could be. I know, a bit of a subject change here.

·
A Nice Man
325 Posts
Basically, the lower the value of the pot, the sooner it starts rolling off highs, hence 250Ks get mellower sooner than 500Ks. Because single coils tend to have more top end than humbuckers, the general consensus is that single coils should get 250K tone pots to keep them from being too shrill, and humbuckers should get 500K to keep them from being too muddy; but from experience, it should really be assessed on a player-by-player, pickup-by-pickup, and guitar-by-guitar basis. I've seen HBs that are way too shrill on 500Ks, and Single coils that are nothing but dirt and mud on 250Ks. FWIW, I usually use 300K pots for P90s.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
250k for one coil 500k for 2 coils.....

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
I have to learn how to use the quote button. Anyway, Sulfur mentioned the Lindy Fralin p92. It's a p90 style in a humbucker case. His p90 and p92 sound extremely close to each other, with the p90 having more treble IIRC

I have the p92 in the middle pup position on my Black Beauty. I wanted the Lindy Fralin p90 there but he didn;t have a gold cover version.

Here is a link to a very good article on various pups that are p90ish that will fit in your humbucker slot. There are supposed to be sound files, I'm at work so some content is blocked. Hopefully you can listen at home.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20058-humbucker-sized-p-90-review-roundup

Reactions: Scotty

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I have to learn how to use the quote button. Anyway, Sulfur mentioned the Lindy Fralin p92. It's a p90 style in a humbucker case. His p90 and p92 sound extremely close to each other, with the p90 having more treble IIRC

I have the p92 in the middle pup position on my Black Beauty. I wanted the Lindy Fralin p90 there but he didn;t have a gold cover version.

Here is a link to a very good article on various pups that are p90ish that will fit in your humbucker slot. There are supposed to be sound files, I'm at work so some content is blocked. Hopefully you can listen at home.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20058-humbucker-sized-p-90-review-roundup
I press the "reply" button on the lower right of the post you want to quote.

I have a set of these in a guitar I had made many years ago.
There's a couple of issues with that guitar, not the pickups.

I may have to harvest those and install into another guitar, I remember those as a very good pickup.
It's been a while though. There's a set F/S in here right now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts