The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of making my own guitar, and I decided on using a p90 hum bucker setup. If I were to use that setup, which pickup should I put where. It should also be noted the pickups are an SD phat cat and the Fernandez sustainer humbucker style

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd say P90 neck and PAF style humbucker bridge would be a very interesting combination.

That being said, you have to go the other way around with the Fernandes no? The sustainer is meant to be used with the pick up in the neck position if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
11,826 Posts
Ya, I've only seen Sustainers in the neck, not sure if they have to go there or not though, but it seems the norm.

I do like the idea of a HB bridge and P90 neck setup.
A Huber Krautster II, for example. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
+1 on P90 neck and HB bridge (even better, get a 4-conductor HB so you have the option of splitting the coils.) I have an original version Reverend Double Agent with this combo and it is the most versatile guitar I have (and I have a few!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have experience with the Phat Cat pickups and while most will probably disagree with me, I believe the P90 sized humbuckers shine in the bridge position. They are a bit brighter than the traditional P90 but still sounds amazing. But the truth is you can't go wrong with a Phat Cat in either position, they're great pickups! HNG^%$

·
Registered
913 Posts
Very cool configuration

Tom Sholz (Boston) did this long ago. Awesome!

And a shout out to Andrew (Ayr Guitars), such a beauty tele! It's probably only a matter of time til I come searching for a black double bound tele with a P90 neck and HB bridge.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
If you have a sustainer, I'd say put that in the neck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts