The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm building myself a bass and I'll put some P-J pickups in it.

Any brands that you recommand me?

For some more info on the bass, it will be trough body neck (birdseye maple) with mahogany wings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone else has any suggestion (that may be under 239.00$)???

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Don't forget to look at the used market, I picked up a SD JB and 59 for my guitar for $100 instead of the $220. These i got from Songbird in Toronto.

Give some shops a call in your area and see what the have in used..you never know
Bev

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I've heard great things about the Nordy's and SD quarter pounders. I've always liked Bartolini as well, but all these choices new will be over your budget.

I've got a Kent Armstrong pup in my p-bass. It is a nice close to vintage sounding pup. Same pups as what was used in the Reverend basses. A P&J set should run you just under $200.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Stew-Mac has EMG's for like $50CDN/set, I know they are cheap but they do the job better than stock Squier pups, not saying much I know. AXE has Duncans for under $200, Hot Jazz/Quarter-pound P-bass. Think if I were building a bass I would use active HB's but that's just me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stew-Mac has EMG's for like $50CDN/set, I know they are cheap but they do the job better than stock Squier pups, not saying much I know. AXE has Duncans for under $200, Hot Jazz/Quarter-pound P-bass. Think if I were building a bass I would use active HB's but that's just me.
I already have a bass with 2 active humbuckers (Peaver G-V)

I'm looking for anoter sound and from all the basses I've tried, the P-J setup gives me what I want (at least for now...:rolleyes: )

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll let you know how it ends....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, finally I bought some Seymour Duncan... Quarter pound P-Bass and Stack jazz for bridge.

My bass is in the finishing process and in a few weeks, it should be ready to rock :rockon2:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, finally I bought some Seymour Duncan... Quarter pound P-Bass and Stack jazz for bridge.

My bass is in the finishing process and in a few weeks, it should be ready to rock :rockon2:
Make sure you post some pics when it is done. I would love to see it...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the bass.

First time posting pics, hope it works...

Shot of the back...

Full front...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow, very nice. I like what you've done with the headstack.
What is the fretboard wood?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Woods are as follow:

Birdseye maple neck
mahogany body wings
red oak fingerboard (6$ at home depot for 36 * 6 * 1/4)

Here is a picture of the neck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts