The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Creme for me. I like the balance of dark on both ends...but not in the middle. Too over the top black and I think it changes my perception of the top hue...Though that could be lighting or perhaps its even a different hue (dont know the range of colours in GT's)

·
Premium Member
2,634 Posts
I like them both and I agree with Hollowbody that the black stands out from the usual colour.

·
Registered
12,346 Posts
I like them both, but the black really looks good.

I'm always down for something a bit different.

How about some black speed knobs, or top hats?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cream for me

Reactions: blakestyger

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
I don't hate the black as much as I thought, probably because of the way the plastic matches the Bigsby logo. But it does make it look more like a modern Studio Tribute than the vintage goddess that she is.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
I like them both a lot, but I prefer the cream on that guitar.

·
Premium Member
25,585 Posts
Do you have any idea just how many studies have been conducted demonstrating that people generally prefer something familiar presented in the "usual" way? If I take the Mona Lisa, or even a photo of whatever actor/actress is considered hot these days, and flip the image horizontally so that whatever used to be on the left is on the right and vice versa (but people aren't aware of it), when you ask folks how much they like it, ratings will generally be higher for the more familiar orientation.

Studies of face perception in infants note that the faces babies pay most attention to are facesthat are the perfect average. In other words, if you measured every parameter of ten thousand faces - eye-spacing, eyebrow dimensions, nose width, mouth width, etc., etc. - and constructed a face that had every single one of those average characteristics, babies would be rivetted to it.

So it doesn't surprise me that *most* folks here will go with the cream; after all it is what they are most familiar with. At the same time, there is something undeniably intriguing and attractive about something familiar that diverges from the "ideal" template juuuussssttt a bit. That's why, despite everything I've noted above, someone like model Kate Moss - whose eyes are just a bit too far apart to be typical - can have such a long career. It's why early jazz, that essentially came from unschooled New Orleans musicians attempting to play the same tune from memory, but diverging from each other and the melody just a smidgen, was so appealing to people.

Having said all of that, one would predict that the majority would like the cream, but a large minority would like the black. I find them both appealing but yeah, the black has a little somethin' extra.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts