The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Especially when I have to leave an hour and a half before I start to work and work 12 hour nights sometimes. Manual labour is tiring to the wirey fellow. At least it pays the GAS :D.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Where is your job? Outside halifax I'm assuming?

I'm thinking of leaving Calgary in the next year or so, and Halifax is a possible new location for me. I hope there are some engineering or technical sales jobs out there.

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Europeans take a minmum of 6 weeks of vacation a year, not including stat holidays. Cdns take 24 days. Americans take 20. Not difference in productivity. Somethings wrong. I had to work two jobs for four years. What's with this friggin' continent???????????

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Robert1950 said:
Europeans take a minmum of 6 weeks of vacation a year, not including stat holidays. Cdns take 24 days. Americans take 20. Not difference in productivity. Somethings wrong. I had to work two jobs for four years. What's with this friggin' continent???????????
I can dig that... I am picking up an extra week this year to bring me to 5 weeks. That took me 11 years.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
you know what I just learnt, while my mum was pregnant with me, my dad got a job offer in england, where he would've made more money, and been in england, and he said no!! I could've been BRITISH:mad:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I hear ya , one week I work 48 hours the next is 36 hours. I work 12 hr shifts and they rotate day/night. Nights is when I get to check in hear. On top of that I have a side business going and it can either be slow or sometimes just too much. On the continental work schedule they say you only work 6 months of the year. Funny it doesn't feel like that... Oh well take care of a few GAS pains and it all works out....:D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
When I was in the union I worked 60 hours a week 'cause the OT is great.

Now that I'm the boss I work a 40 hour week, which is actually closer to 50, but hey, them's the breaks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
I can dig that... I am picking up an extra week this year to bring me to 5 weeks. That took me 11 years.

most people get two weeks after one year,

3 weks after 5 years
4 weeks after 10 years,

5 weeks are usually like 20 years of service

unless of course you teach school

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I am a self emplyed cabinetmaker/furniture builder. I work 50 to 70 hours a week (most of the time 50 to 60 hrs) and I havent taken a full week holiday since the summer of 1998.

I am not complaining, I love my job. I could take time off but I feel guilty and since we are generally very busy I feel I can wait untill things slow down to take off time...

When I was a kid I thought my dad was a workaholic and he was crazy. Said I would be smart and get a "cushy" job that I could work 9-5 and take weekends and nights off and summer holidays. Now I realise that my dad also loved his job (he did the same thing...) and when work is totally enjoyable you dont mind it.

When I feel a little burnt out, I slow it up a little. But I dont want or need 2 or 3 or more weeks off - I dont think I would know what to do with myself! I get antsy after a 3 day weekend... :)

AJC

·
Premium Member
13,028 Posts
Crossroads said:
unless of course you teach school
But for most of the first several summer, your principal sends you off to summer school for this and than. Then you spend several weeks revising your lesson plans that got buggered up year before, 'cause you're still too green.. Or there are major changes in curriculum and you go for more summer upgrading...........................

(I hope this teacher than told me this was BSing me)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
ajcoholic said:
I am a self emplyed cabinetmaker/furniture builder. I work 50 to 70 hours a week (most of the time 50 to 60 hrs) and I havent taken a full week holiday since the summer of 1998.

I am not complaining, I love my job. I could take time off but I feel guilty and since we are generally very busy I feel I can wait untill things slow down to take off time...

When I was a kid I thought my dad was a workaholic and he was crazy. Said I would be smart and get a "cushy" job that I could work 9-5 and take weekends and nights off and summer holidays. Now I realise that my dad also loved his job (he did the same thing...) and when work is totally enjoyable you dont mind it.

When I feel a little burnt out, I slow it up a little. But I dont want or need 2 or 3 or more weeks off - I dont think I would know what to do with myself! I get antsy after a 3 day weekend... :)

AJC
I think that's really what matter's. If you love your job, its not really a job, it's likea hobby that you get paid to do.

The closest thing that I've ever had to this was my chemistry ISU that took like 15-20 hours, and ate all my lunchtime. Everyone hated it. I loved it. Which is why I think I'm going into chemistry.:2guns:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My best advice to kids I know (quite a few) that are either going into post secondary or still in high school, is to find something you really, REALLY like to do and see if there is a way to make a living doing it (realistically).

kids dont realise how much of your life work takes up... untill you enter the work force and see what its like. If I didnt enjoy my job it would be like a prison sentence.

AJC

1 - 15 of 15 Posts