The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model is MXR Wylde Overdrive, if that makes a difference.

First problem - when the output knob is set less then 12 o' clock I get no noise at all... has to be over 12 o' clock to work. Now it's not a huge issue because I have it set to max, but when I get myself a high gain tube head I might not want it set that high.

Second problem - I click on the switch to turn the pedal on and I get this pop noise... I only use the pedal for leads now, don't leave it on all the time. So you can see why this would be a problem... rhythm, rhythm, rhythm, POP, lead... haha, not good especially when going through 1 or 2 4x12 cabs. Got annoying fast, so I borrowed my step dad's Boss OD-2 for now.

I was just gonna' buy another one or a Boss SD-1 modded by Keeley, but I might as well see how easy or hard it is to fix this one first.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wylde Overdrive

I bought a Wylde Overdrive yesterday. Mxr pedals are built like a tank and I am suprised you are having a problem. How old is it?
Have you tried (silly question) changing the battery or running it on an adaptor?
I will be using mine the same way our are so I need it two switch back and forth smoothly.
I've got a Boss SD-1 that I really like. I call it my Crunch Master.
It sounds different than the Wylde.
The SD-1 sounds great with my Strat. All of the cats run when I use my Les Paul.
I may post a thread on the Wylde to see if anyone else has ad a problem.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love MXR pedals... I've got 3 and 2 Dunlops so far... 3 more MXRs to come and 1 more Dunlop lol. It's only about a year old.

Hah, yeah a few people had the same problem(s). I had a friend who had it happen to him, now I'm having it... there's a thread on Zakk's forum (I'm a regular there lol). The switches have messed up on a few too apparently.

SD-1 is nice... it's basically the same as the Wylde Overdrive except the MXR has more gain. Zakk calls it "The Boss on Steroids" lol.

Blah, I'm not worried about it. I'll just buy another one... only like $100 now anyway. I paid like $150 after taxes back then.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
MXR pedal cases are built like tanks, but the insides are less than stellar. Board mounted jacks, switches, pots, etc can lead to all kinds of problems. There could be a bad solder joint or the pcb could have issues. Go with an SD-1. Boss pedals are truly built like tanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blah, it makes a fancy paper weight lol.

I'll probably just give it to a friend once I get a modded SD-1... maybe they can use it. It's fine if you want to keep it on 100% of the time and have the output knob more then half way so no point burning it (no matter how tempting it is!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts