The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

81 - 100 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Looks like it started out as a '37 or so Dodge Coupe. Might be worth it to see if you could haul it out of there and get it running again. Looks like a single carb on the motor.
Nah....it would be cool to have as a relic of days gone by, but I don't have the space for it. This is what I wrote when I posted the pic on Facebook...

I was out for a drive the other day and saw this sitting in a field west of Lambeth. I went back with my camera today, and when I zoomed in on it I could see roll bars, and when I enlarge the photo enough I can see a "Straight 6" engine. So this is an old "Hobby Car" stock car powered by a Ford or Chevy six banger. This class is still limping along at Flamboro Speedway near Hamilton and they're called "Vintage Modifieds" these days, and also run some Chevy V8 crate motor besides the traditional 6's of days gone by. They also go on the road to a few other tracks each summer, I think. But boy, back in the 60's and 70's these things rocked the local tracks. I remember first seeing them at Nilestown when I was a kid in 1970. I almost bought one in '79. Anyone else remember the Hobby Cars?

·
Registered
12,947 Posts
Nah....it would be cool to have as a relic of days gone by, but I don't have the space for it. This is what I wrote when I posted the pic on Facebook...

I was out for a drive the other day and saw this sitting in a field west of Lambeth. I went back with my camera today, and when I zoomed in on it I could see roll bars, and when I enlarge the photo enough I can see a "Straight 6" engine. So this is an old "Hobby Car" stock car powered by a Ford or Chevy six banger. This class is still limping along at Flamboro Speedway near Hamilton and they're called "Vintage Modifieds" these days, and also run some Chevy V8 crate motor besides the traditional 6's of days gone by. They also go on the road to a few other tracks each summer, I think. But boy, back in the 60's and 70's these things rocked the local tracks. I remember first seeing them at Nilestown when I was a kid in 1970. I almost bought one in '79. Anyone else remember the Hobby Cars?
Yup. Late 60's a few of us went together with a '56 Buick Special running a 'nailhead'. Lost more than a few races. When I used to race the MGA in the early 70's used to watch them run on the lowewr mainland tracks.

·
Premium Member
4,470 Posts
Dinking around with my old school Tamron 500 mirror and my new school Nikon d7000. A few pics of my hybrid

_D7D5040.JPG
_D7D5060.JPG
_D7D5041.JPG

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Delaware, still running. Nilestown, closed mid-70's. Before my time but there were tracks in St.Thomas and Tillsonburg as well.

·
Super Moderator
15,756 Posts
Delaware, still running. Nilestown, closed mid-70's. Before my time but there were tracks in St.Thomas and Tillsonburg as well.
Don't remember Tillsonburg but a good friend and I used to go to St. Thomas Dragway back in the late 60's to run our cars. Just street stuff, nothing fancy.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
At which tracks? Never seen the Hobby cars?
Delaware?
I have no idea, it was before I joined this forum, I was out there for a friend's wedding & visiting another friend.
I also was in Paris.

So I told people I spent part of my summer in London & Paris.

·
Registered
14,383 Posts
And quietly add after a few seconds, "Ontario"-to allow them time to react.

Reactions: ol' 58

·
Premium Member
7,433 Posts
A pair of Cardinals have nested in our mulberry tree for the past month. Two fledglings made their first flight.
I didn't have my camera set up in time to capture the first one.
31 second mark.

81 - 100 of 132 Posts