The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bitten by my own dog on Sunday. He'd gotten into a scrap over food with my girlfriend's dog. It hurt like hell, but everything was still working, so we cleaned and dressed my wound.

Fast forward to last night - I woke up in excruciating pain at 2:00. The wound (RH index) had ballooned and was quite sensitive to touch. I took a Lyft to the hospital at 4:00. Finally got home at 1:00 today.

I had a surgical consult - he opened up the wound and cleaned it under a local. I've now got to get IV antibiotics for the next week!

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Ow. I’ve had a couple of close calls with my son’s dog, just horsing around with toys and such and get a finger crunched, I can’t imagine how wild that had to have been just to start. Be well, man.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Dog bite equals bad infections. Keep an eye on it and go back in if in question at all.
Cat bites too for that matter.
Humans too I guess. Guy bit my finger in a tussle and it blew up like a balloon.

But I digress. Don’t be complacent with your recovery. Hope all goes well.

·
Premium Member
11,093 Posts
Best of luck!

Similar thing happened to me on the Friday before Christmas. Left hand, deep punctures right to the bone in two places, almost as deep in two others. X-rays showed no breaks. Antibiotics and physiotherapy. Almost cleared up now, but scarred and I don’t scar much. Poor dog didn’t mean to nail me, he was aiming for the other dog, but I had simply reached in between them to remove a bowl. It certainly felt like my playing career was over, and for a week my hand was bloated and swollen with very restricted movement. Quick medical attention and strict adherence to the doctor’s orders were probably key. Luckily no nerve damage.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best of luck!

Similar thing happened to me on the Friday before Christmas. Left hand, deep punctures right to the bone in two places, almost as deep in two others. X-rays showed no breaks. Antibiotics and physiotherapy. Almost cleared up now, but scarred and I don’t scar much. Poor dog didn’t mean to nail me, he was aiming for the other dog, but I had simply reached in between them to remove a bowl. It certainly felt like my playing career was over, and for a week my hand was bloated and swollen with very restricted movement. Quick medical attention and strict adherence to the doctor’s orders were probably key. Luckily no nerve damage.
Sounds similar to mine. I had xrays as well. I've barely been able to move my index finger since it blew up.

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
I got bitten by my own dog on Sunday. He'd gotten into a scrap over food with my girlfriend's dog. It hurt like hell, but everything was still working, so we cleaned and dressed my wound.

Fast forward to last night - I woke up in excruciating pain at 2:00. The wound (RH index) had ballooned and was quite sensitive to touch. I took a Lyft to the hospital at 4:00. Finally got home at 1:00 today.

I had a surgical consult - he opened up the wound and cleaned it under a local. I've now got to get IV antibiotics for the next week!
The dog needs antibiotics too! What hand? Fleshy part or fingers? Hope it’s in an easy to heal area.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Sorry to read these... I had already heard about these bad situations

Two lessons though :
1- never put your hand between two (dog) mouths
2- never neglect ANY bite (dog, cat, ... even human !)

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to read these... I had already heard about these bad situations

Two lessons though :
1- never put your hand between two (dog) mouths
2- never neglect ANY bite (dog, cat, ... even human !)
I've always been very firm about getting head injuries checked out. I'm definitely doing that for bites as well.

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
We joke about "biting the hand that feeds you", but being the owner of that hand is no joking matter. I hope your hand, and your relationship with the animals involved, heals quickly.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts